Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Hare 12th Royal Scots

eltoro1960

Edit - can MODs cancel this topic please, reason - The burial details are actually for Pte 23622 Arthur Rodger who died in 1916, they have been misfiled under 23627 William Hare's, just noticed this on closer examination. Incidentally Arthur's body was lost as well.

Trying to identify the last resting place of this man from Newtongrange, he was posted missing during the abortive attack on Greenland Hill on 12th April, 1917 in the Arras area, however his body was recovered and buried, but was presumably lost again, as he now appears on the Arras memorial.

I have a number of 1916 & 1918 trench maps of the area but not the one concerned, I would guestimate the position given as a mile or so east of Arras, but a fair bit away from the Point du Jour ridge which I believe was their intended target. The position given was as follows:

Sheet 36 C Ref map NW3 Square H25 C5.5

post-12171-1230571812.jpg

Thanks - John

John,

re Sheet 36 C Ref map NW3 Square H25 C5.5

I have looked at the Trench maps DVD and this sheet covers Loos. The actual location, as long as I have got the reading correct, appears to be about the S corner of Chalk pit Wood, WNW of Pits 14 bis. The British lines are corrected to 14/5/17 for the Germans and March 1917 for the British lines. The location is probably less than 100 m from the British front line

The date of death for Rodger is 20/3/16, he was with the 13 R Scots, who were part of the 15th Scottish Div, who were in the area at the time (1916)

Where did you get the burial details from?

Regards

Adam

John,

re Sheet 36 C Ref map NW3 Square H25 C5.5

I have looked at the Trench maps DVD and this sheet covers Loos. The actual location, as long as I have got the reading correct, appears to be about the S corner of Chalk pit Wood, WNW of Pits 14 bis. The British lines are corrected to 14/5/17 for the Germans and March 1917 for the British lines. The location is probably less than 100 m from the British front line

The date of death for Rodger is 20/3/16, he was with the 13 R Scots, who were part of the 15th Scottish Div, who were in the area at the time (1916)

Where did you get the burial details from?

Regards

Adam

Hi Adam , the burial details are misfiled in the service papers of William Hare 12th RS, you are quite right that it is near Loos , Arthur Rodger is commemorated on the Loos Memorial, I wonder if he was buried here alone or if more men who are on the Loos Memorial lie with him, I would hate to think that he could be found and laid to rest and instead lies in an unmarked grave. PS how good is the trench maps DVD? I have the somewhat dated v1 , which is good, but limited now and doesn't work with Vista.

John

John,

the DVD is good, easy to navigate, and clearly laid out. The Trench names feature is hours of meaningless fun, as you try to find ever more obscure locations. The only gripe I have at the moment is that the measuring tool seems to come up wuth distances in cells, and I am awaiting a reply from N&M as to how this relates to distances. I used that a lot on v1, for the width of No Man's land and other such, so it is a bit of a nuisance not to have the distance readily to hand. It could, of course, be operator error!!

It is the usual problem around value for these things.........is it worth the 3 figure upgrade? Christmas has just gone as an excuse, so I suppose that it depends on how often you use the maps. Compared to a trip to the NA (or two) it probably represents pretty good value

Regards

Adam