Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Largensalza POW camp Saxony Germany

Guest jayneyd2003

Guest jayneyd2003

Hello I am new to this site. I have in my possession an old letter and photo sent by my grt Uncle during his time as a prisoner of War at the above camp. Does anyone have further info on this camp or could they tell me if I could obtain more information on his service from his POW number.

It is beleived he served in the 55th West Lancs regiment

Many thanks

Jayne biggrin.gif

I can't help with the camp itself but it did have two PoW cemeteries. The burials were all later moved to Niederzwehren Cemetery at Cassel.

The cemeteries were in use 1915-1918 and probably contained some of your g/uncle's colleagues.

Largensalza,Thuringia held British ,Russian and French prisoners.Compared to camps in Silesia (holding Russians,French,Serbians,Romanians and about 2000 British) this was a "good"camp with security not particularly tight. Prisoners were compelled to work in the local salt mines,which had it's compensations such as extra rations and contacts of the female variety(the surrounding area was basically devoid of able bodied German males).

This camp is referred to several times in Robert Jackson's book "The Prisoners 1914-18".

Dave.

Guest jayneyd2003

Thanks both of u for the info and also thanks to the gentleman who emailed with info on that particular POW camp. From what the family says as Walter MEADOWS could play a musical instrument he became a member of a band of POW's who were ordered to play songs etc.. for the Germans in the camp. I also know his lungs were damaged as a result of mustard gas. There is also some confusion regarding the regiment he was in Mum believed it was 55th West Lancs but his sister believes it was Seaforth Highlanders.

Hopefully in time I may find out a little more

Thanks very much

Jayne

Hi Jayne,

I know this is a long shot but you never know. I have a least one postcard of an allied POW band in a German camp. I'll seek it out tonight. Any idea what Walter looked like or what instrument he played?

Guest jayneyd2003

:)

Hi Kate

Thanks for yr message. Walter played the Cello but he could also play the piano. From a couple of old photos I have he had dark brown hair swept back, brown eyes looked fairly tall and slim (quite handsome looking). Would be interested in the postcard. U never know do u

Jayne

Jayne,

Kate and I have taken a look at the postcard. It's a mixed French and English band but the cellist appears to be French and has a moustache.

The card also has a recent pencil attribution on the back (though these are often wishful thinking on the part of postcard dealers) that suggests it might be Sprottau (wherever that is) - I expect someone will enlighten us!

We will check some others of our cards to see if any look likely but I am afraid this one was obviously just too long a shot.

On a final note you tend to find on sepia cards that all eyes look brownish.......

Sprottau was a camp in Silesia. Not a name that automatically jumps to mind, so your pencil attribution is probably genuine!

Dave.

There is also some confusion regarding the regiment he was in Mum believed it was 55th West Lancs but his sister believes it was Seaforth Highlanders.

The 55th West Lancs. was a division ,not a regiment, and didn't contain any Seaforth Highlanders. However,there is a Scottish link. A Brigade of this division was temporarily attached to the 51st Highland Division (which did contain several Seaforth batallions) at one point,before returning to the 55th Div. (the main website will tell you more,I'm just going off memory).

There may be truth in both stories then!

Dave.

Jayne

Just to say that I know we have a number of other instrumental POW groups, but our postcard collection is no particular order, other than by purchase. Don't give up, pictures of English POWs with cellos are not plentiful, and given such a narrow field, who knows what might turn up.