Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mick Curran, Royal Irish Fusiliers

curranl

Hello All,

I am researching my granduncle, Mick Curran. Mick served in the Royal Irish Fusiliers, enlisting in November 1914. Family history is vague, but we think he fought in Gallipoli and Jerusalem. I don't have his battalion as yet. Is it worth going to Kew? I know it is a long shot but does anyone have any information on this man? He survived the war, but spoke little about it.

Regards,

Liam.

Guest Desmond6

It's a fair bet he was 10th Irish Division - check the Long Long Trail for unit details.

Further reading on subject 'Orange, Green and Khaki' by Tom Johnstone, Excellent coverage of actions and movements of all Irish Regts. in WW1.

Can't help you about Kew cos I live in Northern Ireland. Do a search on this forum - see magnifiying glass at top - and key in some relevant keywords. It may also throw up some leads for help etc.

All best with search - des

Hi Liam,

Welcome to the forum.

It’s worth going to the NA to check out his medal index card (mic) and medal rolls, the second of which should give his battalion. The mic for the letter ‘C’ should be on line this month so for the sake of £3 this would save you a visit.

I have the battalion diaries, regimental gazettes and some medal rolls for the Irish Fusiliers with the exception the second battalion, often names of other ranks do appear. If you can find out a little more, like his service number and date of entry abroad from the mic, I can do some searching. Am in the middle of moving house at the moment so everything is packed up, should be straight in the next couple of weeks.

Andy

Hi Des and Andy,

Many thanks for your prompt replies. Mick's service number was 51929 - but when I put this into the London Gazette database I got a different soldier. He was demobilised in March 1919, having survived the war without a scratch. This suggests he was either (a) a good soldier, (B) good at keeping his head down or © extremely lucky - most likely all three!

I live in Southern Ireland, so the trip to Kew would be a long one. I suppose the question is this: Does everyone stand the same chance i.e. do 30% to 40% of the RIF service records still exist, or could it be as high as 100% or as low as 0%?

Regardless, I might just get one of those cheap Ryanair flights and bum a bed from a relative and see what still exists.

Thanks for the help,

Regards,

Liam.

Liam,

His number would not have been unique to the regiment; several men in other regiments could have had the same number. Also searching in the London Gazette can be hit and miss as transcript errors occurred when the original data was scanned/inputted.

The chances of his service records surviving are the same as everyone else’s. On my first visit to Kew two years ago the first two men I looked up were there, since then nothing :(

The museum in Armagh has some information on other ranks more so if they died.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I hadn't realised the number was a regimental number rather than an Army number. I contacted the museum in Armagh, but they said they had no personal records. It's ironic that it is easier to find details of a soldier KIA compared to one who survived the war!

With regard to the National Archives; if I do find him on the microfiche system, is it possible to get a paper copy of that or is it simply a case of noting the details with my pencil and paper?

By the way, his nickname at home was Delicate Mick as he was a small, thin man. Rather ironic for a man who survived the First World War!

Regards,

Liam.

Guest Desmond6

If you live in a town with its own weekly paper there is a chance you might find reference to him in old files which are usually kept on microfilm in local libraries. It's amazing what you can find about those who served, were wounded and obviously, died.

here's an example of the type of detail, if you are lucky ....

Gallipoli toll rises

PRIVATE William Turtle of the 6th Btn RIR Springwell Street, Ballymena, who was wounded at the Dardanelles is at present home on a short furlough. Private Turtle, who was an employee of the Braidwater Spinning Company, joined the army about eight months ago and was at the front only about six weeks when he was wounded. He was a popular member of the Springfield Football Club.

INTIMATION has been received by his parents residing at Garfield Place, Ballymena, that their son Private Alexander Watson of the 6th RIR has been wounded at the Dardanelles. Private Watson joined the colours at the outbreak of the war and proceeded to the front about six months ago. The news to hand states that he has received a bullet wound in the ankle.

A brother, Pte Samuel Watson is is also serving with the 6th RIR at the Dardanelles. In a letter home to his parents from the military hospital. Cottonenta, Malta, Pte Sandy Watson says:- "Just a few lines to let you know that I am wounded and in hospital. Johnny Turk got me all right with a shrapnel bulet in the left leg, just above the ankle. I am being treated her all right and hope to be quite well soon. My brothr Sam was all right, the last time I saw hom and as for Johnny Turtle (Springwell Street), I heard he was wounded in the hand.

MR. Archibald Beattie, Galgorm Street, Ballymena, has been notified that his son, Private Archie Beattie of the 6th Btn. Royal Irish Rifles has been wounded at the Dardanelles.

THE first Ulster Volunteer from Ballymena to enlist has been wounded. Mrs. Mary Hamilton, Springwell Street, received the information from the war Office that her husband, Corporal Harry Hamilton of the 6th Btn. Royal Irish Riles has been dangerously wounded below the right ear. Corporal Hamilton, who prior to the outbreak of war was employed as a sawyer by Messrs. J. Coleman and Co., Ballymena listed for the Irish Rifles on August 10th, 1914.

He was a member of the Harryville Unionist Club and was connected with the Orange Order being attached to the Dunfane Lodge.

Private Alex. Peacock, 2nd Australian Imperial Expeditionary Force, (13th Btn.) who was recently wounded, writes to his mother who lives at Rasharkin to say that he is now recovered and expects to be sent out to the Dardanelles with other members of his company.

PRIVATE Patrick Bonar, Flag Lane, Ballymena, of the 2nd Btn Leinster Regt. is at present under treatment in the 13th Stationary Hospital, Rouen. He is a well known Ballymena footballer and played for Summerfield FC.

CAPTAIN Owen Wilson, RAMC, son of Dr. James Wilson, River View, Galgorm, who went to France with the first troops, has secured second place in the Indian Medical Exam and is now on his way to India to takle up his new duties.

September 10, 1915

With regard to the National Archives; if I do find him on the microfiche system, is it possible to get a paper copy of that or is it simply a case of noting the details with my pencil and paper?

Liam,

If you find his MIC card online you can download it for £3 and then print it off, if you find it at Kew then it will cost you 30p to print it from the microfiche reader.

You can then use the reference numbers on this to find the medal index rolls which hopefully will list battalion. You can find out more about the mic/medal rolls on this forum by using the search facility at the top of the page.

If no one beats me to it I'll post an image of a mic when I get home tonight.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the example of the MIC. I have tried searching for his card at www.documentsonline.pro.gov.uk/medals (I assume that is the right place to look) but they haven't got the Cs uploaded yet.

Regardless of whether I can get the card online or not, I will still have to make the trip to the NA at Kew to see the medal rolls and to check if his service record survives.

When you get a chance, please have a look through your material. I hope to make the trip to Kew in the next month, so I should finally be able to nail down his battalion. I have also ordered a book on the 10th (Irish) Division at Gallipoli, as I am now fairly sure that he was part of it.

Many thanks for your help and to everyone else on the forum who helped out.

Regards,

Liam.

The PRONI in Belfast isn't great for military records but I do recall that they have more on the Irish Fusiliers than any other Irish regiment. It may be worth just checking with them to see what exactly they have.

Hi Edergole,

I contacted the PRONI, but was redirected back to Kew. Looks like I'll have to make the pilgrimage! Thanks for the tip though.

Regards,

Liam.