Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

To Serve Them All My Days

armourersergeant

Oh heaven and my birthday not but a few weeks away. I have not seen this since it was first shown around 1980, so I have waited alooooooooooooong time. According to Amazon released today at special price of 44.99 for all three dvd's

It follows an officer who is wounded and invalided home from WW1 and sees his rehabilitation and growth upto the second world war. Brilliant IMHO

Smiling from ear to ear

Arm.

Ps yes I know not strictly a book but it is a book so read it aswell.

Starring John Duttine, as I recall. It was a very well-acted series with some memorable scenes, including the sudden death of the mad headmaster played by Charles Kay. My only quibble about it was that it seemed to recycle whole chunks of the plot of 'Goodbye, Mr. Chips' including the death of the hero's young wife. It was a follow-up to another R.F. Delderfield adaptation which also had Great War connections 'A Horseman Riding By'

Wonderful book & tv. Gave my copy of the book to a Special Forces Lt Col who wants to be a headmaster if he can ever get out of the army. Loved it.

Starring John Duttine, as I recall. It was a very well-acted series with some memorable scenes, including the sudden death of the mad headmaster played by Charles Kay.

Not forgetting Belinda Lang as Beth his first wife (slightly more tubby but all the more lovely for it) and my personel favourite Alan MacNaughtan as Howarth.

Arm.

Was Howarth the outwardly crusty and cynical but actually kindly and caring older teacher? Didn't he die watching a cricket match?

Yes.

Was always dropping fag ash onto his lap I seem to remember.

Problem is can I now wait til my birthday.

Arm.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it was not so long to wait and it arrived clutched lovingly in my mothers hands this morning. I have watched two episodes over a good take away this evening and its even better than i remeber. Sad i must go to work or sleep or do those other mundane things when i could be watching the dvd.

regards

Arm.

Ps did the 'guess who that is in the back ground' and 'hes dead isnt he' game that all us old ***** do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Another RF Delderfield fan here, have you also read "God is an Englishman".

I thoroughly enjoyed this as well as "To serve them all my days" and "A horseman riding by".

Even though aa a patriotic Scotsman, I would take issue with the accuracy of the title.

Regards Ken.