Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMNZ Transport RIMUTAKA

JoMH

Soon I'll blossom forth ashore like a

knut all gaily dressed,

Knut Important person, swanker.

General. From 1911 (OED). Attested in numerous sources.

This was possibly derived from a popular music hall song from 1914 by Arthur Wimperis, Gilbert the Filbert, the Colonel of the Knuts. F&G write that a 'crude parody of the song was much used as a marching song'. A 'knut' was generally 'a dandy, a fashionable or showy young man' (OED, Partridge) and a jocular variant of 'nut'.

I like that one - 'JAZZ'

Somewhere I read that New Zealanders didn't go in for marching songs much. Maybe this was a comparative thing - ie compared to others' propensity for singing on the march - or maybe it was the author's wishful thinking.

It seems that they certainly liked to play with words - which I imagine a good (crude) marching song would have been all about.

I wonder which of the passengers was "STEERAGE"...

J

more about KNUT: Full Version: Definition of a "knut" please

'Epilogue' Page 12 continued:

FACT

It was the third night in Capetown and the prevailing financial embarrassment had reached the point of destitution. Two sergeants were battling for pleasure or profit. Presently they clicked.

"Won't you come for tea?" asked one fair charmer, with real Cape hospitality.

"Thanks," the battlers chorused, "we'd be glad."

"Let's take a car then," responded the fair one.

Seated in the tram in rapturous propinquity to prospective cuddle the N.C.O's grew radiant. But like a cloud came the conductor.

"Strewth," said one hoarsely, "who's paying these fares?"

Something had to be done, so they explained, awkwardly enough. But Cape hospitality, equal even to this, brought a laugh and the necessary funds. The girls thought the situation quite a joke. After dinner a further excursion was proposed and undertaken. Again the girls paid, and when the night was spent, supper enjoyed, and father's last cigar smoked, the lucky soldiers had sixpence pressed(!) on them to pay car-fares back to town. It was accepted apologetically, but not less gratefully.

It seems shameful to admit, but truth compels us to add, that in true battler fashion, they defrauded the Tramway Company and squandered their ill-gotten wealth on cigarettes.

'Epilogue' Page 12 continued:

TO THE OTHERS

(With apologies to W.S.)

[There are officers who are gentlemen - and there are others.]

Farewell! A long farewell to unaccustomed greatness.

It is my destiny. To-day I radiate ephemeral importance

To-morrow also; accepting homage from the gentle flapper.

The third day brings me my discharge, and when a suit of civvies

I have donned, and laid aside my Bond Street garments,

I return to the oblivion whence I came.

I have swanked with temporary gentlemen and others, these many months

Along the Strand and Piccadilly; but far beyond my depth.

My strained finance at length broke under me, and now remains

Naught but the memory of a former glory.

O! how wretched is the man who holds the King's Commission

And forgets, that 'twixt himself and those he rules, exists

A barrier merely artificial! For by the tide of civil life

He is o'erwhelmed - never to rise again.

-PILL HEATH.

Dick, the Navigation Sergeant, he of the Maori pipe, clicked at Capetown and was taken home to tea. Little Sister gazed at him long and wonderingly. Then asked what she thought, she answered. "He's nice, I think, and isn't he just like Grandpa."

'Epilogue' Page 13

DIGGER'S REVERIE

Scene: s.s. "Rimutaka." Time 8 p.m., 8/11/19

The ship having left Liverpool and the land fog behind, steams through the smooth Irish Sea bathed in moonlight, while on the left lights are seen flashing out beneath the dark hills of North Wales. A "Digger" leans over the rail smoking, watching, dreamily ruminating:

"So that's the last of Blighty. Well I'm damned. . . Be a long time 'fore I see it again. . .

But I'd like to come back. Had a good time there. . .

Remember when first I seen it. 'Strewth, but I was green then.

Plymouth, and the Bay. . . Then Sling. . . What a Hell of a place Sling was. . .

And draft leave in London. I ran round with the Y.M.C.A Guide!

Then, France. Etaples! And the War! - mostly doing fatigues in the mud!

Lucky to get that Blighty. . . Balmer Lawn was decent though. . .

Then Hornchurch. . . And back to school . . . But education wasn't bad there . . .

That Staff job in London too . . . not enough pay - too much work . . . weekends weren't bad . . . Wonder what's became of Gwen? She didn't write long . . .

Sutton was a win . . . And Windley Pool in the summer! Canoeing with Peg . . . She looked sweet enough to eat, lying in the other end of the canoe through them shady creeks with the splashes of light on the water. Like to have taken her home - only no joy-boats for mine! Ah well . . .

An' Sling . . . Economics! Hell! . . . Hope the ground opens and swallows the whole Plain now.

But Torquay was bon . . . some nice kids there. But I s'pose it's just as well to go back on my pat . . .

And now it's over . . . We're going home . . . She's been a good war anyhow - since the Armistice! . . . . Ah well! Let's see what sort of mob is on this tub!" (Exit.)

'Epilogue' Page 13 continued:

A man who wanted to make a withdrawal was asked for an explanation of the difference in his signature. His reply was: "I was under the influence of liquor when I opened the account." Let us give the Devil his due, and acknowledge that his inspirations are not all evil.

Answers to Correspondents

Majones. - We are positive that Musenberg is not a dry area. For the rest we can remember no more than you.

Theatregoer. - It is quite agreed that such comments on the stage by the stage-manager are not made in the best circles. But he is either improving or being eliminated.

Chief. - We suggest that you forgive him. Remember he was celebrating Christmas.

Francais. - Our infant department closed. Try "Home Journal." Meanwhile continue fresh air treatment, as he seems to thrive.

Adj. - Sorry no post-war vacancies here. Try Green or J. C. Williamson. You would do well at street oratory or character acting.

B. Coy. - Spelling of Great Australian Bight shows it is used geographically. No reference to Mooney.

S.S.M - Why object to your nom-de-guerre being used on Hobart stage? Such is fame!

Anxious Wife. - The "shees" (skis) referred to in the recent lecture are used for travelling across the snow. In any case the Archangel forces are now withdrawn.

Connoisseur. - Perriski is one of the best know poets of the modern Russian school. The work you refer to, "If you can't be true to one or two," is an earlier work and not equal in power to his later masterpiece, "Only just one girl."

'Epilogue' Page 13 continued:

Answers to Contributors

W.G.T. - One of your limericks:

Our young Sergt.-Major, Tom Mooney,

On shore proved decidedly spooney;

To cut off their curls

He chased all the girls

And very soon had them all swooney.

Candidly, now, how do you like it in cold print? Out of consideration for our readers we suppress the other twenty-one verses you submitted.

E.W.P.N. - "An Afric Night" too thick for our penetration. We have met starry nights, dirty nights, Arabian nights, nights of romance and Knights of Chivalry, but never a night like this. What was the night before? Is the answer a lemon?

Wm. G - This is plain publication for plain people. Your Ruskinesque prose too mellow for us. Try the "Triad."

Pax. - Your version of the prodigal son compares unfavourably with the original. Thanks for the excellent sketches.

V.K. - Your poem "Solitude and the Stars" moved us to tears. We deeply sympathise. But you know the proverb "Between two stools -."

Bill and Arthur. - We heard you sing; we dare not read your contribution.

Reeves. - Did you intend your effort to be verse or prose? Or is it a drawing?

Boat Deck. - "Passionate Poems" too Byronic. Try the "Snark Annual."

Tango. - Your experiences in Capetown wildly improbable. Did you catch any snakes?

Naval. - The story too seasoned. This journal tries to preserve a margin of respectabilty.

Saloon. - "Moonlight Musings" savours of saccharine sentiment. The conditions outlined may obtain on the boat deck; they are not appreciated in this office.

C.Coy. - Article on domestic felicity excellent. We admire you both. Sorry, no space.

Wondrous Sea. - Trite verse on mushy subject. Be direct, definite, and original. Above all, have something to say first.

CHARITIES

During the last week of the voyage the sum of 53 pounds was voluntarily contributed to the following charities: -

St. Dunstan's Home ... ... ... 42 pounds

Shipwrecked Sailors' Society ... 11 pounds

A special collection, made to assist the widow of Fireman Paget, who died at Hobart, realised 40 pounds.

'Epilogue' Page 14:

SPORTS

On a troopship where tedium is inevitable and recreation essential, much depends on the energy and ability of the Sport's Officer. In this respect we are fortunate, for Captain Brunton bearing the trophies of a unique victory, that of the United Service Fencing Championship, and fresh from Aldershot, has made sport the most popular feature of our life on board. In addition to organising competitions, he has personally conducted regular classes in sabres for officers, fencing for ladies, singlesticks for men, and in boxing, physical drill, and gymnastics for all ranks. A roped ring was early set up on number four hatch, and here men practised and trained for boxing. In boxing instruction Captain Brunton was assisted by Corporal Head and Privates Craven and Smith and in the management of competitions Corporal Head and Private Craven.

Competitions attended by practically everyone on board were held and resulted as follows: -

NOVICE COMPETITION - Monday, 15/12/19. 2 Rounds.

1st Bout - Bob Fitzsimmons v Jim Mace. A burlesque of furious nature. Fitzsimmons obviously lacked condition, and Mace, a man of knotted muscles, won by process of exhaustion.

2nd Bout - Muirhead v Young. (Under 10st.) Young attacked hard, and was declared winner before the end of the first round.

3rd Bout - Lucas v Lister. (Under 10st.) Lucas attacked strongly in the first round and most of the second. But Lister made a bold bid and provided a good rally at the finish. Lucas won.

4th Bout - Sergeant Graham v Johanson. (Under 11st.) Johanson, the taller, had slightly the best of the first round. The second was very even but marred by holding. Johanson won.

5th Bout - Connell v Young. (Under 10st. Semi-Final.) Young was again very aggressive and hard-hitting. Connell, though marked, was strong and game. A very hard fight was won by Young.

6th Bout - Sergeant Pearce v Smith. (Under 12st.) Pearce did most of the fighting but Smith, possessing an effective smother, showed up well in in-fighting. A hard clean fight, very even. After an extra half-round Smith was declared winner.

FINAL UNDER 10 STONE - Friday 19/12/19.

Young v Lucas. - This contest was marked by hard fighting from the start and was very even until Young scored a knock down. Lucas rose weakened and was suffering severe punishment when the fight was stopped and the decision given to Young.

SECOND NOVICE COMPETITON - Tuesday, 23/12/19.

1st Bout - (Under 10st. ) Connell v Muirhead. Connell attacked but Muirhead responded with such effect that only the gong saved Connell. The second round was very even both hitting and missing hard. Connell won.

2nd Bout - (Under 10st.) Lucas v Lister. The first round was open slogging, the second similar, and both men fought to the point of exhaustion. Lister gained the decision.

3rd Bout - (Under 11st.) Sergeant Graham v Johanson. The first round was hard hitting and clinching. The second round found Graham weak and Johanson attacking. The bout was stopped and Johanson declared the winner.

4th Bout - (Under 12st.) Sergeant Pearce v Smith. A very good hard clean contest between good sportsmen. Smith had, perhaps, a slightly better knowledge of the game, and won by a narrow margin.

Exhibition Bout. - Lightweight. - Lucas v Porteous. A very pretty spar. Porteous was fast, effective, and clean in a humorous contest.

The more serious contests were followed by several bouts of blindfold boxing, where the frantic efforts of the contestants occasioned the wildest amusement.

VARIOUS COMPETITIONS.

On Friday, 19-12-19, an obstacle race, held over a course sufficiently interesting and varied for the most ardent, provided much entertainment for onlookers and contestants alike. After a trying process of elimination comprising heats, semi-finals and finals, the winner turned up in Private Dickenson who thoroughly earned his prize.

A tug-of-war which brought forth teams representing the officers, sergeants and A., B. and C. Companies, was keenly contested, and eventually won by A. Company.

A sports meeting was held on Boxing Day and brought forward many entrants, especially for those competitions that catered to the appetites of the contestants. The various events resulted as follows: -

Singlesticks - 1st Cpl Chalmers, 2nd Pte. Richardson.

Cigarette Race - 1st Miss Allen and Pte. Elvy.

Apple-bobbing - 1st Pte. Elvy, 2nd Pte Waller.

Threadneedle Race - 1st Mrs. Baird and Pte. McNaught.

Treacly Bun - 1st Cpl. Turner, 2nd Pte Stevens.

Pillow Sparring - 1st Pte. Kerrick, 2nd Dvr. Hares.

Cribbage Tournament - 152 players. 1st Sgt. Innes and Cpl. MacFarlane. 2nd Pte. Hannah and Mr Campbell.

Chess Tournament - 28 entrants. 1st Cpl. Gooch, 2nd Gnr. Cole.

Quoits - 1st Sapper Chapman, 2nd Private Dockery.

Any explanations/descriptions for Singlesticks, Cigarette Race, Threadneedle Race or Treacly Bun, please?

'Epilogue' Page 14 continued:

CORRESPONDENCE

(To the Editor.)

Sir, - Seldom indeed is it that I feel moved to raise my voice in public, but things have come to such a pass on this vessel that cogent reasons urge me to protest with all the fervour of my impassioned soul.

First, comes the matter of Christmas and the accompanying festivities. There is a very widespread feeling that the authorities have been unduly parsimonious , in that only one of these seasonal festivals has been issued to the troops during the whole long trip. Much weariness might have been avoided and much tedium beguiled had we had - say - one Christmas per week from the date of our departure from Liverpool.

Next is the matter of the lavish indulgence of all ranks in the luxuries of the flowing board and bowl. One cannot but feel that such indulgence must be exceedingly detrimental to the good health of those who, owing to the exigencies of the elements, are liable at any time, even after a long voyage, to all the miseries of mal-de-mer.

In addition, there were the lavish and promiscuous donations of cigars, cigarettes, and tobacco. The result could not but be, in many cases, a veritable Saturnalia of indulgence, which rendered all ranks even more lethargic than usual.

I trust, sir, that this publicity may be sufficient to prevent a recurrence of such an orgy, and that in the proper quarters steps may be taken to remedy these matters in the near future. - I am, sir,

"PRO BONO PUBLICO'

'Epilogue' Page 15:

ADVERTISEMENTS

Wanted. - Partner, with some capital, to develop a mineral water concern in Whangarei. Apply, Dental Officer.

Wanted. - Commissioners or pupils in sketching. Apply Ragtime Artist.

Wanted. - Text-book on "How to Write Clearly." Apply, Routine Orders.

Wanted. - Another war. Apply Education Staff.

Wanted. - A bath. Apply, Anybody, Lower Deck.

Wanted. - A hearing suited to intellectual attainments. Apply, Greenland, Sergeants' Mess.

Wanted. - Engagements for midnight or early morning performances. Apply, Choral Society, Sergeants' Mess.

Wanted. - Trench mouth patients. Regular treatment. Syringe cure guaranteed. Apply, Scotty, Dental Clinic.

Wanted. - Engagements. Comic songs, character or otherwise. No references. Apply Bill and Arthur.

Wanted. - More regular beer. Apply, Potato Fatigue.

Wanted. - Pupils for all the latest dances. Also music, gramaphone will do. Apply, after 10 p.m., Boat Deck.

Wanted. - Accredited instrumentalists. Tin whistle, gazoo, triangle, etc. Apply, Moleskins, Hon. Sec., Jazz Band.

Wanted Known. - Baths available at all hours. No water, no soap, no towels. Replete with all modern inconveniences. Apply, Sergeants' Mess.

Wanted Known. - Our cure for melancholia is guaranteed infallible. Apply, Beetles.

Wanted Known. - Large stock of rumours for disposal. Apply, Crew.

Wanted Known. - Dobson's popular lectures. Humorous, historical, educational and otherwise. Saloon, Tuesdays and Fridays.

Reward. - Handsome reward will be paid to anyone finding a stoneless raisen. Apply, Chief Steward.

To Let. - Hammock site. Hundreds of good reasons for leaving. Apply, C. Coy.

Strayed. - From Saloon on Christmas Eve. One Dental Officer. Last seen in Sergeants' Mess. Reward on returning to Anxious Wife.

Money Advanced. Up to any amount. No security required. Don't apply, Pay Office.

A sports meeting was held on Boxing Day and brought forward many entrants, especially for those competitions that catered to the appetites of the contestants. The various events resulted as follows: -

Singlesticks - 1st Cpl Chalmers, 2nd Pte. Richardson.

Cigarette Race - 1st Miss Allen and Pte. Elvy.

Apple-bobbing - 1st Pte. Elvy, 2nd Pte Waller.

Threadneedle Race - 1st Mrs. Baird and Pte. McNaught.

Treacly Bun - 1st Cpl. Turner, 2nd Pte Stevens.

Pillow Sparring - 1st Pte. Kerrick, 2nd Dvr. Hares.

Cribbage Tournament - 152 players. 1st Sgt. Innes and Cpl. MacFarlane. 2nd Pte. Hannah and Mr Campbell.

Chess Tournament - 28 entrants. 1st Cpl. Gooch, 2nd Gnr. Cole.

Quoits - 1st Sapper Chapman, 2nd Private Dockery.

Any explanations/descriptions for Singlesticks, Cigarette Race, Threadneedle Race or Treacly Bun, please?

It sounds like 'Treacly Bun' was similar to the pie-eating contest americans have? From a 1930 write-up on a website about one of the Stodden villages.

The Flower Show at August Bank Holiday was another summer land mark, held in the school with stalls and round-a-bouts in the field and sports for adults and children - 100 yards sprint for different age groups including the over 60's. Thread needle and egg and spoon for young and elderly ladies, sack race and eating a treacly bun and drinking ginger beer from a marble-sealed kettle for boys, decorated bicycles mainly entered by young ladies and their young men - our maids always competed.

It also mentions threadneedle, but not enough info to know what it is. Unless it was an actual race to thread a needle?

Edit The New York Times has an old article in their archive from January 25, 1908 which says A medley race, in which contestants had to walk one lap, then hop a lap, and afterwards sit on a mat and thread a needle, created plenty of amusement, the men usually who were best on the track being worsted in threading the needle.

Allie

Hi Allie,

Yes, I imagine the contests would have extra challenges - like threading a needle after doing something strenuous or disorientating. Perhaps the treacly bun was extra treacly - I remember the childhood challenge of eating a doughnut without licking your lips!

Perhaps servicemen were pretty adept at threading needles - and needle work in general? Pte McNaught certainly was.

I can't imagine what might be involved in a cigarette race, apart from smoking them, or rolling your own...

J.

On Singlesticks - this from Wickepedia:

American President Theodore Roosevelt and his friend, General Leonard Wood were fond of this sport and used to emerge from a contest quite bruised from their rounds.[3]

Singlestick was an event at the 1904 Summer Olympics, but the sport was already in decline. With the introduction of the light Italian fencing sabre in the early 20th century, singlestick play become unnecessary and was subsequently neglected. Stickplay with wooden swords as a school for the cutlass remained common in some navies.

The art, occasionally practiced by a few fencing veterans in the United Kingdom, was revived by the Royal Navy in the 1980s. Within today's martial arts community, a growing interest in traditional Western martial arts has revived interest in this particular form of weapon training.

J.

'Epilogue' Page 15 continued:

GUIDES

Wandering around the old country one speedily learns how full it was of the storied past. For in the old towns and villages every stone and building seemed fraught with the history of days long begone and of men long since dead. It was pleasant and often profitable to be conducted round such places by guides, amateur and professional, whose stories provided, often unintentionally, much of the entertainment. One became used to their little foibles and to their weakness for gratuities, and learned to appreciate their voluble efforts to please. Most had their good points, and many, their shortcomings.

There was the man who struck an attitude like Billy Hughes in a "Bulletin" caricature, and declaimed his piece with all a politician's fervour, but who, being interrupted, had to go back to the beginning to pick up the thread anew.

In Winchester Cathedral was such a guide. Standing before the altar steps he embraced the whole nave in one lofty gesture, and spoke:

"Up this aisle, ladies and gentlemen, the finest piece of perpendicular architecture in the world - now Rheims cathedral has been destroyed - up this aisle for more than nine hundred years, all the kings and queens of England walked to their weddings and their funerals!"

And in Westminster Abbey a Y.M.C.A. Guide was pointing out the celebrities of the Poets' Corner.

"Here, ladies and gentlemen, is Oliver Goldsmith, the great poet, friend of Dr. Johnson, the lexicographer. Next him you see Charles Dickens, the greatest of English novelists. If you haven't read Dickens' novels I should advise you to do so, for they are the finest in any language. His best is the "Vicar of Wakefield," and as it is universally acknowledged the greatest novel in English, everybody ought to read it!"

Again a guide was showing off historical spots in Edinburgh, and quoted from "The Execution of Montrose": -

"They brought him to the water gate, hard bound with hempen span,

As though they held a lion there and not a 'fenceless man."

Someone asked, "who was Montrose?" *

"Montrose," came the reply, "Oh, he was a well known Scotch rebel who was afterwards killed at the Battle of Bannockburn!"

And surely some joker had inspired the guide who told us that the lost [last?] words of Oliver Cromwell were: "Had I but served my god as I have served my King he would not in this hour have left me naked to mine enemies."

But occasionally the laugh was on the other side, as when the patronising Yank told the guide at Durham cathedral, "Yes, sir, some building, but it's a pity they put it so close to the railway."

*Two poems about Montrose:

As quoted above by William Edmonstoune Aytoun http://www.bartleby.com/246/100.html

And the (in)famous William McGonagall http://www.mcgonagall-online.org.uk/poems/pgexmont.htm

'Epilogue' Page 15 continued:

FORESIGHT.

"You must believe in saving for a rainy day, Blinks?"

"Er, ah, I do; by why?"

"Nothing, only that's the second umbrella of mine you've borrowed."

An Irishman, let us say of the name of Isaacs, writing from Dublin makes this request: "My son Patrick's Probate is enclosed and I trust, considering his sad, though noble death and that he sacrificed his young life for his king, country, and humanity, that you will have interest calculated up to date and pay all to me. Also recoup me a portion of the solicitor's fee." We don't see the logic, but we recognise in the mental attitude a blend of two races.

'Epilogue' Page 16:

NEW ZEALAND'S DEAD

Scattered in many a foreign land they lie

'Mid earth rent battlefields with poppies starred,

Red coloured for the blood which ran unbarred

By aught of selfish thought - for all their cry

Was but of Liberty - none blenched to die.

Though they had dreamed of future all unmarred

And life's full cup of Hope and Joy was hard

To leave scarce sipped, without a secret sigh.

New Zealand, thou art famed to own those white

White souls as jewels lustrous for thy head

To gleam and scintillate eternally,

For, throned amid the stars and clothed in light,

They reign the peers of all the world's Great Dead

Who fighting, fell for ravished Liberty.

"KHAIBIT."

'Epilogue' Page 16 continued:

IT IS SAID THAT --

The ship is on fire.

Prohibition has been carried in New Zealand.

We shall stay one week at Hobart.

Continuance has been carried in New Zealand.

We shall not call at Hobart.

State Control has been carried in New Zealand.

Gratuities have been raised to 250 pounds per man.

Civil war has broken out in Ireland.

Gratuities have been abolished.

Bolshevism is sweeping through New Zealand.

The Ruahine is ashore at Cape Leeuin

Nationalisation of all industries has been carried in New Zealand.

The Kigoma will beat us home.

We are to be quarantined for 28 days at Somes' Island

The Singer twins became mixed in the bath and no one knows which is either.

Beckett knocked out Carpenter [Carpentier?] in the 4th, 8th, 15th, and 17th rounds, and then won on points.

With a little more sea the ship would turn right over.

Carpentier [Carpenter?] knocked out Beckett in 12 seconds.

Cupid has been busy on the boat deck.

'Epilogue' Page 16 continued:

THE BOOKMAN

Expected Publications.

"All Done by Kindness." (Nelson, 2/-.) A collection of quasi-philosophical essays by A/Sgt. Greening. To us these essays seem introspective, visionary and incoherent, not to say vapid and superficial. They cover a wide range very imperfectly and lack vigour, point, and relevancy. The maudlin meanderings of a dreamer.

"The Unknown Quantity." (MacMillan, 3/6.) A mathematical treatise by S.M. Mooney. The author deals in a manner of irresponsible and irrepressible egotism with the quantity of "X", talking much rather flippantly of a serious subject. Of "X" he seems to know but little: his treatment of "XX" is remarkably vague: but none can doubt his knowledge, garnered from life-long familiarity, with "XXX" and "XXXX."

"My Life and Experiences in South Africa." (Home University Press, 1/3.) A voluminous work on South Africa since the war, by R.S.M. Emerson, with many digressions of a personal nature on military subjects. The style is verbose and didactic, with a note of querulous pedantry. The author seems to have travelled widely and to have known itimately many prominant people, but his views are coloured by a militarist bias. The work of a believer in sound and form rather than in reality.

"Beetles." (Oxford Press, 2/6.) By Capt. Barra, C.F. A very happy work on the lives of some lowly friends. Though genuinely scientific, the book is worth reading for its humour alone. The author, a keen student of natural history shows real sympathy and sincere affection for his humble subjects, while his conversational style, his occasional purple passages, and his unending fun render his work one that must appeal to all.

"Hommes - A Hobby." (Official Press, 1/9.) By Capt. Foster. A study of men in the moulding, obviously written by one with some experience of the subject. Although the author occasionally indulges a propensity for tub-thumping and a weakness for a professional style and diction, he shows up well the advatages of limited alcoholism, and makes an interesting appeal for military service as a means to his end. The chapter on seasonal festivities is brilliantly done. On the whole this work has brought the author much new popularity.

"Capitalism. The Curse." (R.P.A., 7d.) A study of sytstematic sociology from the prolific pen of Pte. R. Crowley, "I.W.W." This work is in the author's usual style, revelling in strings of polysyllabic adjectives, romance terminology, and periods of remarkable involution and convolution. At all times it is forceful, even vehement, occasionally, direct and effective. The matter deals with a wide scope of history and political science from the doctrinaire viewpoint of a Marxian Socialist, and shows a particular acquaintance with Army Soviets. By social reformers of the extremist type this will be read and appreciated.

"Scientific Browsings." (Longmans, 4/6.) A pretty little volume of essays from a lover and student of nature, by Colonel Home. The writer reveals an enquiring turn of mind with a scientific interest and sympathy born of understanding. In a happy facetious manner he deals in turn with the migration of birds, volcanoes, and earthquakes, Bolshevism, and such divergent subjects. But the interest is always sustained by the humour lightly and skilfully mixed with sound knowlege. This work should be very popular.

"Virginal Verses." (F for private distribution only. M.S. by Capt. Christian.) The author seems to be saturated with Ella Wheeler Wilcox and to have written mostly under the erotic influence of tropic moonlight. Frothy effervescences of mushy sentiment are relieved here and there by flashes of passion. The "Ballad of a Boat Deck Beauty" shows some feeling, but rhyme and rhythm are disregarded. Hardly a book for children.

All the surnames of "authors" above appear on the passenger lists (see posts 19 - 31 of this thread) though sometimes the initials or rank etc do not coincide fully. I find this fascinating as (critical/humorous) character sketches of some of those on board . J

'Epilogue' Page 17:

BUCKSHEE

On this vessel, at least, no complaints are forthcoming in the matter of gifts. The ubiquitous Y.M.C.A., the N.Z.W.C.A., the Red Cross Society, and the Salvation Army each sent aboard quantities of material for free distribution. And all had the benefit of long experience in selecting their goods. Consequently we have been blessed with ample supplies of those commodities that do so much to add to our comfort and pleasure. Padre Green was appointed O.C. gifts immediately after our departure, and has always been available and always ready to supply out this buckshee store almost anything that a traveller might desire to beguile the time or assuage his fickle appetite.

Some idea of the quantity of gifts provided and distributed may be obtained from the following list, in which only the principal items are mentioned.

Y.M.C.A. (in charge of Sgt. Watkins) - Circulating and reference library, stationery, magazines and weeklies, music, piano, devotional literature, boxing gloves, punch and medicine balls, fencing material, parallel bars, punch pad, quoits, draughts, chess, cards, two gramaphones and records, jazz band instruments, trophies for sports, lantern and slides, drink crystals, fruits, biscuits, tobacco, and 25,000 cigarettes.

N.Z.W.C.A. and Red Cross Society (in charge of S.S.M. Cameron) - Gramaphone, boxing gloves, quoits, punch-balls, skipping ropes, stationery, draughts, cards, music, books, deck chairs, summer clothing, housewives*, balaclavas, 12 cases honey, 2 cases of magnesia, etc.

In addition, the Salvation Army sent cigarettes, stationery, etc. And at Teneriffe and Capetown large quantities of cigarettes were provided by the New Zealand Red Cross Societies, the Salvation Army, and from funds held by the O.C. Troops.

* What were "housewives"?

Answer: post 98.

'Epilogue' Page 17 continued:

A DOG'S LIFE

"Floss," the fox-terrier lady who has become such a favourite aboard, has an interesting record of service in the Old Country. One might say she was born in the service, for her father was killed in action in France, and she came as a puppy from the kennels of Sir Walter Long, then First Lord of the Admiralty, to Sgt Lowndes, at Codford, about Christmas, 1917. Early in her career she was offered for sale for 5/- but in vain. Then her owner started to train her. Making her maiden bow to an audience at Codford on Anzac Night, 1918, her fame speedily spread, and she was shown before soldier audiences in most of the camps of Salisbury Plain. In the winter of 1918 she travelled as mascot of the Codford Rugby Team (N.Z.E.F.) that won 26 out of the 27 matches in the Southern Command of Championships.

Later, travelling with Sgt. Lowndes on leave, she performed at children's hospitals in Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol, and other centres; at charity entertainments at the Holborn Empire, London, the Electric Theatre, Torquay; and at many privately organised concerts all over the South of England. Restrictions regarding rabies alone prevented her accepting professional egagements on London and provincial variety circuits. "Floss" has the proud record not only of having entertained thousands of soldiers and sick, but of having collected about 500 pounds for various charitable and patriotic institutions.

Her master, who reciprocates his pet's faithful affection, was naturally anxious to take her to New Zealand with him. After repeated failures to do so officially she was eventually embarked in a soldier's kit-bag. And now, having won the affections of all on board, she has our whole sympathy in the official troubles she will meet at Wellington. We all hope that these may be successfully overcome and that officialdom may relax its quarantine regulations sufficiently to let through one who so richly deserves it.

This article completes the text of the journal, the final pages containing the passenger lists and nominal roll are already posted on this thread, see posts 19 - 31.

Floss did nine month's quarantine on Somes Island despite a petition to waive the sentence. After death, she was stuffed and kept in a glass case!

It's satisfying to find on the Nominal Roll in the journal: 5/851 Dvr. Lowndes, P.E., the owner of Floss.

More on Floss, with pictures can be found at http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/photo/fl...gby-team-mascot

J

Answer to my question, "What is a 'Housewife'?", kindly supplied by CGM

There's a picture of a housewife in #5 of this thread.

It was a long, narrow strip of fabric with lots of small pockets on one side.

Everything which a "housewife" would need was stored in them.

So we're talking about needles and thread, spare buttons, etc etc. I don't know if there was an official list, someone else may be able to help there.

The strip was rolled up and tied shut with the two ties attached to the outside.

My mother still has hers, from service in the second world war.

:) CGM

• 1 month later...

There are a few references to "Education" in the Journal:

"Education of Board" post 37

"Lectures" post 38

Does anyone know if education on board the transport ships was a common practice, or indeed an official policy?

Also, in "DIGGER'S REVERIE" post 80, another reference to education:

"The Hornchurch... And back to school... But education wasn't bad there..."

Does anyone have information on a "school" or "education" at Hornchurch?

Joanna

• 1 month later...