Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Died in battle

Guest val

My Grandfather Thomas William GARNER(residing in Liverpool.married to Elizabeth/4 children) as far as I can determine was killed in action Feb 1915 in France - this is all I know. There was apparently a Plaque and a document of some kind buried with my Grandmother as well as the only photo of him in uniform :( It has been passed down that he wa in Kings Lancs. Regiment. and that he was killed in the trenches with his comrades(No bodies found) I have been on the CWGC site and cannot find anything. There are lots of soldiers by this name but not one fitting all my details. Could he of been transferred to another division/would the death be reported accurately? Some of the soldiers on the CWGC site have family details others have nothing - why is this? Some do not even have service number! Where do I go from here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Val - I've had a look on the Soldiers Died in the Great War CD and found a few Thomas Garner but no Thomas William Garner.

The details I've found are:

2235 Private Thomas Garner

2nd Battalion South Lancashire Regiment

Killed in action: 25 September 1915

Born: Liverpool

Enlisted: Liverpool

The personal details for the soldiers on the CWGC site are those given by the next of kin. One of great uncles has such details whilst his brother doesn't.

If the soldier that Lee mentioned is your relation he is buried in Bedford House Cemetery. One of the most confusing cemeteries in the Salient I think !!!! :P

Conor

Sorry forgot to mention that the scroll was more than likely this : the Memorial Plaque was accompanied by a memorial scroll. At the top of the scroll was the emblem of King George V, followed by this text:

He whom this scroll commemorates was numbered among the those who at the call of King and Country, left all that was dear to them, endured hardness, faced danger, and finally passed out of the sight of men by the path of duty and self-sacrifice, giving up their own lives that others might live in freedom. Let those who come after see to it that his name be not forgotten".

The details of the deceased service person are then shown in red ink. (Blue for the Navy)

Also if there were other men killed with him get somebody to look up the SDGW CD for men of the same Battalion who were killed on the same day and then see where they are buried (quite possibly together or quite near to each other.

Conor :)

On the CWGC site there are only 15 hits for T Garner covering the period for the First World War in all services. None of these are casualties for February - so something wrong there.

Lee has posted the most obvious but there is also

12205 Pte. Thomas Garner 6th Bn. Kings Own (Royal Lancashire Regiment)

KIA 30/04/17

Born Salford, Manchester

Enlisted Manchester

There are only ten Thomas Garner listed for Soldiers Died in the Great War.

Any more details, such as age? Teh more facts that you have the more you can eliminate those on the list.

Regards

Andrew

Val,

I know how you feel. One of my aunts is insistent that an uncle of hers (James Williams) was killed in the Great War. How on earth do I sort that out!

As to family details on CWGC. It was all down to the individual family. Some sent info in, others did not. There are plenty of very senior officers with no entries, so it was not just the privates. I also know of families who lost more than one son. Some have info, others do not. There is no logic, but we are dealing with grieving people here.

Rob

• 2 years later...

Have you tried searching just the surname for that date?

Sometimes the known name and recorded first name are different.

Perhaps try the middle name?