Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI British Officer's Chainmail jacket? Help!

Nachtjager

Something just occurs to me, but could it be from an officer of an RAF Armoured Car Company/Squadron? Would have thought chainmail would be a better protection against internal projectiles as opposed to bullets and the like. However, I'm not sure when these were formed - I know the RNAS had armoured car sqadrons, but I can't find any reference to them in the RAF prior to 1922, which, though khaki/drab uniforms were worn until the mid 20's, seems a bit late for this style (single prong on belt was replaced by double prong in, I think, 1918 or 1919, although this may only apply to the blue uniforms). Is there any ghosting in the wing area, or holes for eagles above the rank lace (abolished in July 1918)?

EDIT: Would there be any objection to me posting the pic on another, RAF focussed, forum? Maybe able to find more clues...

G'day Night hunter

What a wonderful piece of armour!

I agree with Centurion that the term 'chainmail' is a Victorian invention that became popularised via Hollywood and suggest that if you, or anyone who reads this post would like some clarification on the matter. I suggest you read 'A Knight and his Armour' by Ewart Oakeshott (if you can obtain a copy) .

Having been a re-enactor of ancient and mediaeval martial arts it was too often a task of mine to construct mail. From the photos you have provided however, it does not appear to me that the armour is constructed of interlocking links, but more as it had been woven or knitted. Am I correct in this?

I think research into this matter may take some unravelling !

Regards

Pop

Will do Pops, thanks for the suggest. I found a place to get a better look at the metal in the jacket through a hole that's under the fold of the right lower pocket flap, will try and get a photo of it this weekend for you guys. The metal does look like nickel and it's made of squarish plates missing their corners, each connected together tightly with a metal loop. There's a heavy white string or webbing, running throughout that seems to hold it all in place and ties it to the jacket itself. I didn't spot this hole before because with the pockets lying flat you don't see it or notice it, but the more I go over this thing, the more I seem to discover.

And yes, there is clearly an outline over the left breast pocket where the wings were removed and a hole there where it looks like someone carelessly gouged into the wool while removing them. The RAF insignia over the rank stripes on the cuffs is also missing but you can clearly see where they were. I suppose many years ago, either the family or some other collector decided the insignia was worth more than the jacket or perhaps the family just wanted to keep a few mementos off the thing before getting rid of the heavy thing?

Please feel free to repost any of my photos, I'm eager to learn more, and anything that helps in that regard is a good thing! Take care all and God bless! :D

Although it mentions "steel" in the advert we all know that the word steel can cover up a multitude of sins.

Barry

post-3081-1232713550.jpg

Thanks for the post with the Wilkinson's Jacket advert. I've sent pics and e-mails regarding the jacket to the RAF Museum, the IWM, and Gieves themselves, all with little response other than "interesting" or some such response. No one seems to have much input on the production of this piece or others like it.

Did find out a fair bit of info on Captain Ritchie, he was RNAS, commissioned in 1915 and died "while flyng" from HMS Argus, April, 1919 at age twenty-three. I believe he was with 185 Squadron flying Sopwith Cuckoos at the time of his death but not confirmed 100% yet.

I tend to think this is what's termed a "Wilkinson's Jacket" that may have been sold through Gieves Ltd., but how many could've been made in the RAF pattern? I will take a better photo of the metal inside and get it posted next week, it's quite interesting how they made this thing.

Again, as always, thanks to all on the forum, this has been the best place to exhange information that I've found. Take care and God bless! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would see if the use of 'Chainmail' had been introduced in other than tanks and came upon this splendid thread. Any more news?

• 10 years later...

Just come across this rather old thread. This link to Dorset Museum has a photograph of this officer and copies of his service record. He served on airships before going on to fly aeroplanes. https://dorkingmuseum.org.uk/captain-stanley-edward-ritchie/

This is the first mention I have heard of armoured jackets but it occurs to me that weight would be a little less of a problem on an airship. When the RNAS and RFC were combined to form the RAF in 1918 the RNAS personnel were not keen to replace their blue uniforms with khaki and mention of the odd combinations of uniform around at this time was mentioned in documents such as "Flighty" the magazine produced at Kingsnorth Airship Station.

The RNAS men were also less than pleased to go onto Army rations, which were less than they enjoyed in the RNAS, the Navy being having a more generous approach to feeding its men.