Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deserters

Stephen White

Is it possible or indeed have there been any know cases of a soldier deserting during battle,he not been seen to do so, and then been posted as missing believed KIA.

Then making his way back to the UK undetected,his NOK receiving any medals due to him (as the authorities beleived him dead).Then living on in the UK and eventually dying with his guilty secret !!.

It's a crazy theory i've got buzzing round my head and i just wanted to know if it was possible or had been done.

Steven :ph34r:

It's an interesting theory which I've often wondered about, myself. I suppose it would have been possible but the big problem is that if anyone ever did it - that is getting back to the UK and taking the guilty secret to the grave - then by definition, no-one would ever know!

Tom

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Not WW1 but WW2, if you read the biography of the air ace Bob Stanford Tuck, when he was on the run in Yugoslavia, he bumped into a man who did exactly what you have described above.

Ian

:)

the big problem is that if anyone ever did it - that is gettting back to the UK and taking the guilty secret to the grave - then by definition, no-one would ever know!

Tom

Thats the problem with whats buzzing round my head,no one would ever know except perhaps for very close family !!.

It's a great basic plot for a novel, though, Steven!

Tom

I know,would make a good story !!.

The theory was one way of linking some medals i have,with a family member with an uncommon name.

I once chatted to ex-L/Cpl James Snailham (11 & 6 Bns E Lancs). He`d trained up with the Accrington Pals and been wounded on 1/7/16 (2 bullet wounds). After a long time out, he got back on the night 1-2/7, the second wound received whille getting back. On recovery, he was posted back to F&F, but went AWOL, as he didn`t fancy it. The MPs brought him back and he was given a spell of jankers and told "You`re not going to France now, you`re going to 6Bn in Mespot. You won`t go AWOL from there".

Whilst there, on a march across the desert, he went down with dysentry and , not able to keep up, he was left with some food and ammo to fend off the "budhoos" (subject of a recent topic). He was fortunately picked up by a following unit which had transport, and finished up in hospital in India.

Sounds like the army had a brisk way with deserters! Phil B