Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A question for the organisers of the In from the Cold project

harribobs

But it seems the mods get 'a clutch of complaints'. Very odd.

There were quite a few believe it or not.

Are any other WW2 forums that can give reasonable advice on non-coms ?

I found a highly probable WW2 non-com 2 weeks ago, if Mr xxxx found it would he know where to go for such knowledge if the GWF adopts a WW1 only policy on Non-Coms?

Neil

I've raised it with fellow Mods over at WW2 Talk.

Is there someone involved in the project here who would like to come over and explain what it is all about? We have some keen researchers who may not realise that there are WW2 non-coms and might be interested in looking into it, and what is involved?

Neil

Always happy to help if you PM or email me.

Terry

awaiting the DC. I'd like to say i found it, but my girlfriend did!!! can you believe it.

Neil

Can someone please explain to me what exactly has gone on here today?

It has always been my understanding that WW2 non-coms can freely be discussed on the GWF.

If this has now suddenly changed then I will have to seriously consider going elsewhere with ALL my cases. It's a question of principal...

I agree with Geoff above - It will be a lesser place!

Why fix something if it already works? To hell with anyone so pathetic as to complain about the odd WW2 non-com on here.

Neil

Oh dear. Was just trying to be helpful... sorry if I have misunderstood something? I thought people were saying that WW2 Non-Coms couldn't be discussed. I was just offering a place for people to do that! If it's not relevant, no problem, but the offer is always there.

Paul,

Nothing wrong with what you have said here at all. :D

Am I wrong in asuming here that the GWF Mods are STOPPING all future references to WW2 Non-Coms?

Kate Wills posted this -

A polite request to the IFTC project:

Would you kindly confine your postings on the GWF to WW1 casualties please.

The occassions when you have placed names from other conflicts here have elicited a stream of Reported Posts; and indeed it is against Forum Rules to post on non-WW1 subjects, unless posted in Skindles.

Your co-operation is appreciated.

Thankyou.

I think if this WW2 thing is enforced on the GWF the WW2 forum will be getting many more members... :lol:

My post above was directed at the person(s) who appear to be changing the rules with regard to WW2 non-coms and the odd people who have obviously been complaining behind our backs on the GWF. If anyone has a problem with us discussing WW2 non-coms here then let them register their feelings on this thread now. At least that will enable us to all know who has been stiring things up.

Perhaps a few of us could also consider setting up a seperate forum to discuss WW1 AND WW2 Non-Coms matters?

Oh dear. Was just trying to be helpful... sorry if I have misunderstood something? I thought people were saying that WW2 Non-Coms couldn't be discussed. I was just offering a place for people to do that! If it's not relevant, no problem, but the offer is always there.

Paul, You've done nothing wrong. If they change the rules without telling anyone, bound to cause a problem one day. WW2 non-coms are of course much rarer but often much more difficult to research, Those working in this area need all the help they can get so your offer, I hope will lead to an increased activity in this. And of course cases can be discussed in more detail than allowed here.

geoff

I do have a WW2 non com - A Lt Col RAMC who died 2 days after his his charge from the army - the LG shows that he was put on the retired list due to ill health - the Times arcives shows that he died of wounds - I know await the DC - I will dicuss this despite what everybody else is on about - May They All Rest In Peace

Chris, You naughty Boy. I never knew you were an Anarchist at heart? I'm looking for my old handcuffs now :lol:

I'd love to know who has been stiring things up here. Bet it's someone who has NEVER even contributed towards finding a non-com. :o

Seems most have meekly turned their cheek and simply accepted this new imposed ruling. Can't say I'm surprised...

I'm off out to my very cold but beloved shed (with Men Behaving Badly Swedish Sauna Conversion) to play with my toy. I'm removing the calipers when I can safely ride it...

Seriously I'm NOT a happy Bunny :(

post-2961-1229632094.jpg

My personal opinion would be that a damn good team has been built up within the GWF to find WW1 non-coms - that expertise and experience should be available for other non-coms too, whether from within the IFTC project or not. All we need, I would have thought, is a slight amendment to the forum rules to allow consideration of all non-coms, WW1 or not.

The fact that some people have complained shouldn't be allowed to derail any efforts that can be made to bring more men in from the cold.

Alan

Alan,

I am worried by these recent developments on the GWF. This kind of in-fighting will put the ITCP at risk and that would be a terrible development indeed. I agree with what you say, it would indeed be a great pity to ruin such a good thing.

I can't understand why others are simply rolling over and accepting this extra-ordinary imposition from someone who I have NEVER even seen on this sub-forum in the past. Where is T.D, J.H and Co? We ALL need to make a stand.

I am expressing my views here freely & publically for all to see...

I guess I'm on the outside and that there is more to all this than meets the eye?

Pity... :(

The Moderation team have followed this thread and found it to be varying in it's stance and intimidating to others. Given the rules of the GWF, the Admin staff will consider whether or not a separate non-WW1 related group/thread should exist on the forum.

Therefore until a decision has been made, this thread will be closed. Any further threads on this matter will also be closed without warning. Future hostilities may lead to suspensions. The Moderation Team does not take likely the jibes made about other members of the forum whether direct or indirect.