Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian at Gallipoli with RND

Bradford WW1 Group

I'm researching a Belgian who was a Sub Lieutenant with RND attached to Oliver Backhouse's staff at Gallipoli. I have his diary which covers February - July 1915. His record card at NA merely states ;attached to Howe Btn as interpreter' but it's clear from the diary that he also served as transport officer during 2nd battle of Krithia - and various other duties.

Can anyone help in explaining how and why he should be enlisted with a British unit and given a rank? In June 1915 he was ordered back to England by Hamilton, despite Backhouse requesting he remain. On his return to London he left the service and in Nov 1915 enlisted with the Belgian artillery and proceeded to Eu in Normandy.

It may help if you are able to name the individual.

A couple of suggestions to follow up:

1) You could contact Len Sellers who is as knowledgable as it gets on the RND.

2) Have you chased down the service record for him which should be at the Fleet Air Arm Museum/Archive?

I wonder if he had departed Belgium as a refugee and volunteered and been selected for his knowledge of French - the RND were adjacent to the French at Gallipoli and often needed to liaise.

Just a thought!

PS The Bradford book is excellent - I very much enjoyed it!

It may help if you are able to name the individual.

A couple of suggestions to follow up:

1) You could contact Len Sellers who is as knowledgable as it gets on the RND.

2) Have you chased down the service record for him which should be at the Fleet Air Arm Museum/Archive?

I wonder if he had departed Belgium as a refugee and volunteered and been selected for his knowledge of French - the RND were adjacent to the French at Gallipoli and often needed to liaise.

Just a thought!

PS The Bradford book is excellent - I very much enjoyed it!

Many thanks for the compliment: I'm the surviving author! Name of RND man: G van der Kindere. Thanks for info re Fleet Air Arm Museum which I'll follow up. I have the Len Sellers book. My man isn't listed but it would be worth contacting Len: where is he?

In Len Sellers' 'RND' journal (Issue No.7 pp 564 and 566) there are two mentions of "Van der Kinder". The article is the diary of Captain FJ Thompson OBE RD RNR. He commanded HMT ROYAL GEORGE which transported Howe Bn to Gallipoli. On 3 May 1915 at Cape Helles he recorded "Van der Kinder comes off and gives me some news ..." and on 11 May 1915 "Lieut Commander Ingar and Van der Kinder came on board in the forenoon ...".

In Len Sellers' 'RND' journal (Issue No.7 pp 564 and 566) there are two mentions of "Van der Kinder". The article is the diary of Captain FJ Thompson OBE RD RNR. He commanded HMT ROYAL GEORGE which transported Howe Bn to Gallipoli. On 3 May 1915 at Cape Helles he recorded "Van der Kinder comes off and gives me some news ..." and on 11 May 1915 "Lieut Commander Ingar and Van der Kinder came on board in the forenoon ...".

Is the RND journal on line? I MUST follow this up. The diary mentions Royal George many times (with affection) and on 3 July 1915 'What a joy to see the dear old ship . . . Capt Thompson is happy to see me again'. He then tells the Capt of the great losses suffered by his chums.

If he entered the Belgian Army, there should be something of his file left in the Belgian archives.

Try:

Xavier VAN TILBORG, Adjudant

HRG-A/N-Archieven

Kwartier Koningin Elisabeth

Eversestraat, 1

1140 EVERE

blok 6C

BELGIUM

Tel : 0032 2 701 31 78

e-mail : xavier.vantilborg@mil.be

It is possible that you need his date of birth or the date of his enlistment in the Belgian Army.

Grtz,

Niko.

Sub Lt van der Kindere does not appear in any of the contemporary Navy Lists as being either on the 2nd Bde Staff or attached to Howe Bn. He obviously had some special status, given his ability to travel off-shore to the ships standing off Gallipoli.

Is this Georges Van der Kindere ?(graduated in law at the Université de Bruxelles)

Yes. I have him graduating in 1914 and being 'fluent in English'. Do you have any more information about him, his degree or his subsequent career?

If he entered the Belgian Army, there should be something of his file left in the Belgian archives.

Try:

Xavier VAN TILBORG, Adjudant

HRG-A/N-Archieven

Kwartier Koningin Elisabeth

Eversestraat, 1

1140 EVERE

blok 6C

BELGIUM

Tel : 0032 2 701 31 78

e-mail : xavier.vantilborg@mil.be

It is possible that you need his date of birth or the date of his enlistment in the Belgian Army.

Grtz,

Niko.

Thanks for this, Niko. I have already obtained his papers: extremely helpful at the Brussels archives but the records don't tell me very much at all. I still don't know how or why he joined a British unit!

Bradford.....

As the 63rd RN Div were at Antwerp initially could it have been likely that he was taken on there as ,someone suggests,an interpreter and stayed with the Divn to Gallipoli a short time later ?

Sotonmate

Bradford.....

As the 63rd RN Div were at Antwerp initially could it have been likely that he was taken on there as ,someone suggests,an interpreter and stayed with the Divn to Gallipoli a short time later ?

Sotonmate

Yes - I think Antwerp could be the link. But it seems a bit irregular for him to be given a commission (sub-lieut) and eventually end up being transport officer at 2nd Battle of Krithia. Although, having read Compton Mackenzie's account of his time with the RND, 'irregular' seems to have been part of their cherished image as 'not army' (land forces but with navy ranks and navy traditions).

Yes - I think Antwerp could be the link. But it seems a bit irregular for him to be given a commission (sub-lieut) and eventually end up being transport officer at 2nd Battle of Krithia. Although, having read Compton Mackenzie's account of his time with the RND, 'irregular' seems to have been part of their cherished image as 'not army' (land forces but with navy ranks and navy traditions).

The link could just as well be Ostend, the RM Brigade was send there in late august 1914..... <_<

Bradford

We'd quite like to know too if Martin has provided an answer !

Sotonmate

Bradford... have PM'd you with some info .....

Ah! I've received your PM. Thanks for the phone number. I'll ring Len and discuss what I have.

I hear on the grapevine that Len Sellers bok on WW1 spies has been listed by Stella Rimington as the No.1 espionage book ahead of volumes on people like Blunt & Philby ......

• 9 years later...

This is a reply to a very old post, and I apologise in advance, but before progressing further, it would be great to know what else was found out about the aforementioned Georges Van der Kindere.

He may not be alone; I believe I have found two other Belgians.

Martin Gievers appears to be on loan to the RND from the Belgian Army. His MIC records that he is a gunner. This implies the soldier is an artilleryman and not a (Naval) Warrant Officer Gunner. He has a Crystal Palace card (ADM 339) - in fact he has two, owing to the variation in his surname. 

Although he was never commissioned in the British Army, he was medically discharged from the RND, and received a Silver War Badge as a Lieutenant , number 155740.

There is a character with the name of Jacobs. He is in a photo that the IWM have, and is labelled as Lieutenant Interpreter. His MIC states his name as W Jacobs De Laire, and a 1914 Star medal application is made on his behalf on 16 July 1918 by Mrs A Murray, 121 London Road, Bromley, Kent.

Yes, this is correct. I'm punch-drunk on data, so thanks for the correction.

• 11 months later...

Jacobs is in the back row, second from left: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205316385