Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Jones

Raster Scanning

I am researching a QSA Medal with South Africa 1902, Orange Free State & Cape Colony Bars.

It was awarded to Cpl George Jones, 5841, Bedfordshire Regiment.

In WW1 Jones was awarded a 14/15 Star Trio, he was by then Sgt G Jones, 6786, Northamptonshire Rgt. The Medal Roll states he went to France on 25-7-15 and was released to Class Z on 20-2-19.

Are there any Northamptonshire Rgt experts who can tell me anything further about Jones ? I am particularly interested in his Battalion and where he lived.

Many thanks.

John

John - Have you tried Northampton Borough Council's Keeper of Social History? I contacted her in 2000 and she was very helpful, she even volunteered to look through their copy of the 6th Bn's War Diary for me.

I can't promise she'll have any records on your man but she might be able to help if you discover which battalion he was in.

She is (assuming she is still there): Judith Hodgkinson, 01604 708675

Thanks Lee, I will call her. I suspect he was with the 6th Battalion as they went to France on 26-7-15, the medal roll gives Jones arrival in France as the 25-7-15.

I suspect this to be a small error.

John.

John

I have consulted the National Roll of the Great War Bedford & Northampton volume, but drew a blank.

Would you like me to post your query to the Northants WFA e-mail group? I can also announce it at Thursday meeting (I am Northants branch secretary). One of our members does much voluntary work in the Northants Regt archive in Abington Museum, and I'm sure he would be happy to take a look.

Hi Kate.

I would be very grateful if you could do that for me.

Many thanks.

John.

John,

You often get small discrepancies with the medal rolls, one I consulted gave all the officers arriving in France the day after all of the men.

Rob

John

I don't want to sound too negative but have you considered that he may not neccessarily have had any residential or family connections with these county regiments?.

Terry Reeves

Terry.

Absolutely, I have no pre set ideas where he may be from. All I am interested in is finding a bit more about him.

John