Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester, Lancashire & Cheshire Scots

Rodge Dowson

Hi following on from my first book 'Manchester Scottish' I have started to build a detailed database listing of any man that served in a Highland, Lowland, Yeomanry or Cavalry Scottish unit who was born, enlisted or resided in the Manchester, Lancashire and North Cheshire areas. Together with the help of Steve Lowe, Neil Drum and Jack ALexander I have 3,470 listings so far, and material is coming in every week. Since the publication of the book much new information has come to light and I intend to add this to the database. If anyone can assist please get in touch, especially if they notice listingings of wounded or pow's in local newspapers etc.

The database has 21 seperate fields and covers churches/clubs connected with, educated at, employed by, trade or occupation, wounded, gassed, pow dates and locations, previous unit and numbers, later service, family background, 1901 census listings, gallantry awards, hospitals attended, dates overseas, dates disembodied/discharged and much more. This work has already started to define number block and enlistment patterns and so will be a valuable research tool.

I can let you know the details of the Bury Grammar School boys who served in Scottish regiments, three of whom were killed. Please contact me off-forum.

I do not have any additional info for you I am afraid, but I just wanted to say how interesting I found your book on the 'Manchetser Scottish'. I wish you the best of luck in your latest project, and of course should I come across anything that could help I will pass it on.

All the best,

Tim