Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10TH West York burial KIA, turned up alive!

Rodge Dowson

Pte 15197 Thomas Fox, 10th Bn. West Yorkshire Rgt (attached 12th Bn.) KIA 5/5/16 buried at Cite Bonjean Military Cemetery I.A.8.

Well, he later turned up wounded and evacuated to UK, lived into his 70's served in the Home Guard in WWII at Sinnington in North Yorkshire. I have seen the original Imperial War Graves listing from one of his Grandchildren, who stated that he was very badly wounded in 1916 and he never had any real work because of it since. He died in the early 1970's so who is in that plot only the good Lord will know? Would be interested to know of other stories like this?

Fox is still in the grave according to CWGC.

Is there any documentary evidence that he survived which we can see? It would be nice to get chapter and verse on this one.

His Grandson came to see me at the Museum I work for here in Yorkshire this week and told me the story, showed me a photograph of his Grandad WWI studio shot, an original IWGC letter stating that he was to be buried at Armentiers Communal Cemetery Extension and a platoon photograph of his Grandad in Sinnington Home Guard Section circa 1943. The medals were split with his grandchildren as he wished himself prior to his death I have seen the silver BWM his grandson has and confimed the unit and name and number. He went on to tell me before I looked him up on CWGC Register & SDGW about the fact that he had a grave in France, so I have no reason to doubt this information. The grandson is a well respected local businessman.

I can copy the documents if you wish?

Could it be that there were possibly two Thomas Fox's in that unit both missing or killed around that time and perhaps with similar numbers and the paperwork was sent to the wrong NOK in error.

Or then if the paperwork went to the next of kin who, for whatever reason still had no word of their son and really felt he was dead - but much later he turned up alive who knows?

The above is quite possible.

The evidence required will be something that proves that the two people are one and the same. Does any of the documentation that you have seen show that?

Whilst not doubting anyone's word, and knowing how stories get distorted by word of mouth, solid evidence would be needed on this one.

I'll contact CWGC tomorrow to see if they have heard this story.

Like Terry, I would feel cautious about this. I recently did some research for a family who were 101% sure their grandfather (not an obscure uncle or anything) had been KIA in WW1. His had a unique name and his file survived in WO363; he didn't die, and lived well after the war. How they could not have known that, is beyond me.

Hi Paul and Tery thanks for your thoughts on this, I will of course be seeking further information and documentation from the family, an intersting case at any point. Nice to see you again last night Paul on the small screen, hope to get over again this year if possible, but have recently become adicted to California.

Rodge Dowson

I have now checked this one through with CWGC and they are sceptical but willing to be convinced. There has never been a query over this burial.

The next-of-kin supplied a Final Verification Form in the early 20s confirming the details shown on his entry on the website. CWGC also have recorded in other documents the n-o-k name of Mr. A. Cattle of 122 Peter St., Blackpool (believed to be the father). No Personal Inscription was requested.

They believe (but cannot prove) that Thomas Fox was an alias and that his real name was Cattle - presumably changed to avoid derision from mates.

There is another 'T.Fox' buried in Cite Bonjean but they have checked that also and there is no confusion there.

Does the name 'Cattle' figure in the story of those claiming a relationship to this man? If not, it looks very much like another confused n-o-k story - possibly a mixed up uncle/grandfather or even gt/grandfather - depending on the ages of the current n-o-k. Cases of 'assumed identity' are also not unknown.

However, CWGC are very happy to check any documentary evidence the family may have to ensure that a mistake is not made.

Hi Terry, thanks for the update, I will ask them about the CATTLE possibility, the grandson has told me that he thinks that his grandad was from Leeds but may not have been born there. The alias will be a key point though, as I thinkFOX was the genuine family name. I Will copy the docs tommorow as the gentleman is leaving them with me at the museum.

Thanks again

Rodge

Rodge

It will be interesting to see the evidence. The crucial points will be anything confirming that his grandad was indeed Pte Thomas Fox and was the same T.Fox as is buried in Cite Bonjean (whom we now know was possibly really 'Cattle').

If they are two separate people, it is possible that IWGC make a huge mistake and sent the burial details to the wrong family all those years ago (or his grandad was really someone else!).

Hello Terry, the main document concerned was not from IWGC as I thought, but from Infantry Record Office, York dated 8/6/16 'Dear Madam, I beg to inform you that the place of burial of the late NO 15197 Pte. Thomas Fox, 10th Bn WEST YORKSHIRE REGIMENT, whose death has been reported to you from this office is as follows:

The Annex to The Cemetery, Armentiers, France. '

On secondary inspection of the British War Medal the number on the medal reads 15179, also Thomas's middle name was William, he died at Sinnington 23/7/1976 and birthplace was given as Rothwell, Leeds. So a medal index check may deliver two Tom Fox's with near numbers? Anyway there seems to be too many differences to be one in the same man, some sort of error at Infantry Records, and possibly the medal office?

Thanks for your help and input on this, best wishes Rodge