Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lord Strathcona's Horse

Chris_Baker

This is an appeal for help in identifying the movements of Lord Strathcona's Horse (Canadian mounted unit, attached for much of the time to the British 2nd Cavalry Division) from landing in France to Armistice.

Any info about specific actions also valuable (although I know all about the well-documented fight at Moreuil Wood in 1918).

Thanks in advance.

Chris, there are multiple references to Lord Strathcona's horse (12 in fact) including references to "on Roye Road" and "in advance to Selle" as well as Moreuil Wood in Nicholson's "Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914-1919".

I expect you know about that. If not, its downloadable!! You just need a spare ink cartridge and two reams of paper!

Chris - Below is part of a posting Richard VanWyck Laughton sent me in relation to my question on the 21st Bn CEF. Nicholson's book is about 600 pages long, so be prepared!

To follow up on my earlier note and the response from Paul, I did go and look for the Nicholson text within the archives of the Department of National Defence in Ottawa (Canada). To my surprise, in the process of searching for the contact at DND I came across a web site where they have published out of print books and there it was in all it's glory.

Go to this web site and click on the book title and you can have all 600 plus pages in less than 1.5 MB of text in PDF format:

" target="_blank">http://www.forces.ca/hr/dhh/publications/e...e.asp?cat=6[/i]

This may not add a great deal but I thought you might enjoy it.

A friend has an "In Memoriam" card for a relative who died with the CEF.

She always chuckles when she reads it for it says "Died while fighting with Lord Strathcona's Horse".

• 1 month later...

From "Deeds that thrilled the empire" I see that Corporal F.C. Powell, of Lord Strathconas Horse was

awarded the D.C.M for gallant action at Festubert May 25th 1915. So evidently they were at the battle.

The citation says that he repeatedly went out under heavy shellfire to repair telephone wires over the 600 yards between the outpost and HQ.

hope that helps.

Julian

• 3 weeks later...

It seems this is the night to answer many questions about the CEF and Nicholson's book, as for some reason the Government of Canada thought it wise to not only relocate the web site but to now publish all 600 pages in PDF format. I would suggest that since they opted not to support the allied coalition in Iraq that they had a lot of spare time on their hands - stupid. Anyway, the new site for the Nicholson book is at:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/downloads/O...ories/CEF_e.PDF

and I have updated our web site and any other places I think I had this noted, but please let me know if you find others and I will correct those as well. Unfortunately, CEF books decided not to republish the book. Take note also that I scanned all the maps that are not in the PDF book on the web and they are on our web site.