Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adams Farm and The Bund

colin.green14

Hi All,

I am trying to locate Adams Farm and The Bund, war diary transcript follows.

“Relief reported completed at 1a.m. Dispositions: A & B left and right front companies, respectively; C & D in support. Former holding 2 Platoons at ADAMS FARM & 2 in CANOE TRENCH. Latter similarly distributed in THE BUND, a large concrete structure near ALBERTA FARM, & CANOPUS TRENCHES. Bn H.Q. in CANOE TRENCH at C10d6.5. 1/4th ROYAL BERKS in reserve in CANADIAN, CALF & CALIBAN TRENCHES. Battalion area shelled continuously during day, causing many casualties. 2/LT J. E BOYLE assumes adjutants duties. Clear bright day”

I have searched the maps I have in my possession and map extracts on the Internet, but have had no success. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

The map you need is 28NW2 St. Julien. Canoe Trench ran through Kitchener Wood and Alberta Farm I believe was to the east of the wood,

Jon

Hi Jon,

I have the map that you suggested, and have found Alberta and the trenches mentioned in the transcript, but Adams Farm escapes me.

Regards

Colin

Hi Malcolm,

Thank you very much for that information, not marked on my map (edtion 6A), would you have a map referance.

Rgards

Colin

My map is a copy of the map showing the tracks of tanks on 31st July 1917 in 51st HD area ( solid lines) and in the 39th Division area ( dotted lines).

Aye

Malcolm

post-129-1228399042.jpg

Hi Malcolm,

Thank you. No name on my map, but buildings shown. Can now re-trace my Grandfathers last steps.

Best Regards

Colin