Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Echelon

ddycher

On 30/11/2008 at 23:06, Ron Clifton said:

Strictly speaking, units did not have a 3rd echelon - they had "base details" who were reinforcements and returning wounded/sick who were usually at Etaples or one of the other coastal bases.

GHQ 3rd Ecxhelon was otherwise known as the Adjutant-General's Office at the Base, and was at Rouen throughout the war under Maj-Gen E R C Graham, the Deputy Adjutant-General. Its role was to maintain all personnel and other records - War Diaries were sent there every month and these are the set which now form class WO95 at Kew.

Each infantry battalion or similar unit left its orderly-room sergeant as part of 3rd Echelon, dealing with the records of the men of their own units. These included the casualty returns which were forwarded to the War Office.

The units Mark refers to are the Lines of Communication (L of C) Troops.

Ron

Hi Ron

In response to your information that I have just found I was wondering if you could help me understand if my grandfather returned to the filed to fight or to stay at base "Etaples" as he became a trainer after spending quite a few months in England training.  Please refer to a couple of pages of his war service sheet attached.  Thank you for any light you can add to this.

Kind regards,

Dianne

War Record - P. 8.jpg

War Record - P. 9.jpg

Looks like he rejoined the 4th pioneer battalion in early May "in the Field"

I agree, he rejoined the 4th pioneers but I don't understand where he was.  He had just done months of training in England to become a trainer, he then Marched In "Etaples" - ?base camp, but Marched out to the field.  Does this mean he wasn't training? Was he just back with his battalion?  I am trying to understand when he was affected from gasing which didn't kill him but affected him for the rest of his life.  He was first shot in the head in Gallipoli (25/4/1914) but returned to his battalion on 13th June 1914. He went to hospital sick (eventually to Malta) on 5 Nov 1914.  He wasn't reported sick on his records at any other time.  So was wondering if he was affected by the gas early in Nov 1914 (which I didn't think happened then) or was it after his training in England? Was he in the trenches in France?

Thanks to anyone that can help me understand this.  

Dianne

• 2 years later...
On 01/01/2019 at 22:10, Guest said:

Hi Steven

I didn't know that.  Is it on the internet or is it in a book?

Thanks

Keith

Hi Keith, Major R.P Birchenough, Derbyshire Yeomanry was my grandfather- I haven’t read the regimental history but have some notes from his recollections from September 1915 onwards and separately in 1918 when he took part in the advance through Serbia into Bulgaria, which I think he later provided when the history was written. He served in C squadron and as well as Greece and the Balkans I know he was also in Egypt.

best,

John

• 7 months later...
On 15/08/2020 at 01:13, Guest said:

I agree, he rejoined the 4th pioneers but I don't understand where he was.  He had just done months of training in England to become a trainer, he then Marched In "Etaples" - ?base camp, but Marched out to the field.  Does this mean he wasn't training? Was he just back with his battalion?  I am trying to understand when he was affected from gasing which didn't kill him but affected him for the rest of his life.  He was first shot in the head in Gallipoli (25/4/1914) but returned to his battalion on 13th June 1914. He went to hospital sick (eventually to Malta) on 5 Nov 1914.  He wasn't reported sick on his records at any other time.  So was wondering if he was affected by the gas early in Nov 1914 (which I didn't think happened then) or was it after his training in England? Was he in the trenches in France?

Thanks to anyone that can help me understand this.  

Do you mean 1915??

49 minutes ago, BullerTurner said:

The designation “Guest” means the poster concerned is no longer a member of the forum and so will not see your query.