Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1ST R I Rifles

Desmond7

New book, hardback, by a James Taylor. Saw it in Easons tonight. Didn't get chance to check price or blurb. Anybody know anything?

Must have had her for about a year now...excellant..loads of info on officers...a good bit less on the men...very handy for checking what happened on the actual dates men died...I've a medal to KIA and the book tells exactly how the individual died (via shell) while standing guard outside on officers bunker.

A bit expensive but mine was signed by the author.

Would lend you it desmond but the postage would be a bit heavy...unless you come down to the big smoke!

Mark

Mark - first time I've seen it! PS will pass on now the second instalment of 'items about our soldiers'. Please reply to e-mail,I'm wondering if my home machine is working right!

• 1 month later...

This is a fantastic book. Then again, I would say that, seeing as I am the author!

Jimmy - 1st class job - can you help Ralph Whitehead? See post on raid on 1st Royal Irish Rifles?

Back with firm link soonest ...

des

Pasted from Ralph ...

Hello Everyone:

I am looking for any information, war diary records; any personal accounts from the 1st Royal Irish Rifles 25th Brigade, 8th Division for a German trench raid that took place on the evening of 11 April 1916 near La Boisselle.

From the reports I have it seems that ‘A’ Coy suffered losses in the artillery fire that preceded the attack while ‘D’ Coy suffered the most losses as the attack took place just when two platoons were being relieved at the front line.

I have an account from the German side and I want to see how the two accounts match up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would be glad to share the German account from RIR 110 to anyone who can help out, thanks.

Ralph

Pasted by Des - any ideas?

Des,

I gave all my info to Ralph about a year ago.

Regards,

Jimmy.