Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 army research.

Guest pippi.reyno

Guest pippi.reyno

My father in law was - Private Douglas Alexander Burgess, home address - Warrington, Cheshire during WW1.

He got 3 medals - 1914-15 Star, British War medal 1914-1920, and Victory Medal 1914 -1919. South Lancashire Regiment, Serial No. 2023.

He served in France, got gassed, and continued to suffer from its effects in later years, I seem to remember being told. But he survived and lived until 1956.

Is anyone able to give any more information from these details about his war service?

Or advise on what other information may be found, and where?

Thanks,

Anouska

Anouska,

You would need an expert on S Lancs numbering systems. Or, try checking SDGW on the CD-Rom and look for men with similar numbers.

The medal rolls would help best, at Kew. Once you know his battalion try the war diaries. A mention by name would be rare, but at least you would know where he went, what he did.

Try the local papers. Most of them printed the casualty lists, until about 1917 (for wounds). Most also ran pages where relatives wrote in with pen pictures of their loved ones, especially if wounded, killed or decorated.

Rob

Anouska,

A good book to help you in your research is:

Public Records Office Readers' Guide - Army Service Records of the First World War by William Spencer 3rd expanded edition pub. 2001

This is an ideal reference companion when you are out researching.

Book is available from Ray Westlake - Military Books £8.95 see http://www.hellfire-corner.demon.co.uk/ray...y-westlake.html

this book is also available from other sources.

Also this web-site also gives excellent help and advice in "Researching a British soldier?" see:

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad.htm

Alan Seymour

Guest pippi.reyno

Rob,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have already checked out the possibility of the local Newspaper, David Forrest of Warrington FHS had very kindly done a lot of indexes at the Library, and had done all the hard work. Unfortunately he did not appear. David said his family mustn't have written in with any details during that time.

The Archivist for South Lancs. Reg't is the Chairman of Warr.FHS, and he looked for me, but could not find any mention of him in their records. He said the number was quite a low one, and early, he could have possibly been in TA, if I remember correctly.

I will try to find out about the SDGW.

Thank you,

Anouska