Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

This one is a "then" and "before". The second southern Queen Victoria Auxiliary Hospital located on the Downs in Bristol. The colour one is when it was used as a convalescent home prior to WW1.

Norman

post-21884-1229003358.jpg

All I can say is thank you all again, fabulous comparisons

Andy

:blush:

Here is one for Tafski, the French memorial at Kemmel

post-10939-1229034718.jpg

...another earlier version before the memorial stone

post-10939-1229099338.jpg

As then and now memorials seem popular, here is a self-penned memorial from an German OP in Lateau Wood:

In greatest need was this built here,

for a hero's death I greatly fear

23.4.1917 M.K. 19

Regards Peter

Peter, a most intriguing text.

Do you have more info about this memorial?

Roel

Thank you Peter, nice pictures

......I hope that our French friends don't mind, but I had to have a play with those shots, I think these are on page one

post-10939-1229187571.jpg

• Admin

Norman is that the old Bristol Maternity Hospital opposite the Glen in your photos? If so I used to live in a nurses home in the grounds 20 plus years ago. I much preferred it there than Brislington House where I also lived for a while!

Michelle

Michelle - I mentioned the fantastic aerial views of the Somme (I think Howard took them) which used to be on the old WFA site ... can they still be accessed on the new site and if so, do you have a link. They were stunning and great for battlefield understanding.

Thanks

Des

• Admin

Des

The link is here

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/gre...hotographs.html

but the photos aren't up. I suggest you email Martin Hornby or the webmaster,who is here as thancock I think. I'm not involved in the committee now, so can't help any more than this I'm afraid!

Cheers, Michelle

....Another then and now combined from the French link

post-10939-1229205796.jpg

Norman is that the old Bristol Maternity Hospital opposite the Glen in your photos? If so I used to live in a nurses home in the grounds 20 plus years ago. I much preferred it there than Brislington House where I also lived for a while!

Michelle

Hi Michelle you are absolutely right, this became the BMH. I understand from another source that the War Hospital was primarily used for dysentery cases although I have no confirmation of that. That man Andy (Havrincourt) is too clever, the composites are excellent - more please.

Norman

Mick , Diane & Norman

....."jiggery-pokery of melding"..... :D .... I must have too much time on my hands [don't tell her indoors]

Thanks again

This one looks rather ghostly

post-10939-1229271107.jpg

Ooh these then and nows just confirm our mortality and how we are all just passing through and then moving on who knows where . I love the overlaid shots - what software?

post-10939-1229271107.jpg

Hi Andy,

these combinations are real masterpieces. Hope you will continue in doing that. :)

Fritz

Thanks Fritz will do

Ian , yes just passing through time

My Techie friend at work put it onto my laptop, adobe pro star?

I am loving the overlaid photos too. They are incredible. Thankyou!

Hello Andy,

it´s a great pleasure to regard your thread.

Here another view from then and now. Again Monchy-le-Preux near Arras where I had stayed last year. To be seen the southern part of the Market place. Not so much similar as all the other pics ot this thread. The village was completely destroyed in April 1917 and after war they had to reconstruct it all. But the contours are clearly to recognize.

Richard, if you need any advices for your trip to Arras, I would like to help you.

Kind regards

Fritz

Fritz , thank you for the information that you have provided......a nice shot of Monchy too

Adrian, good idea, I will start digging

Here is another of the morphed shots

post-10939-1229452676.jpg