Havrincourt

Apologies if these have been posted. Click

Mike

Brilliant Mike love them.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's one of behind the former lines, with minor after the 6th Div and US have pushed the Germans out of the village in late 1918 and inhabitants return.

Peter

edited as half of photo missing

post-2649-0-62786200-1416477214_thumb.jp

post-2649-0-77687000-1416477396_thumb.jp

War trophies.post-51262-0-03617200-1416562310_thumb.p

Place de Concorde

Edited by ypres

• 1 year later...

Not been on here for a little while....just checking my old threads, any other then & nows to show?

• 7 months later...

I've spent two hours revisiting this thread! Incredible! Such a shame to see it sink into the archives -so - BUMP!

This unusual monument with the képi is part of le Grand Hohnack near Trois-Épis. It marks the furthest advance of the French army during the fighting of 19th August 1914. The 152e Régiment d'Infanterie had been ordered to capture Trois-Épis and ascended the steep climb from the Munster valley. At just under 1000m they encountered German troops. In the chaotic face-to-face fighting with bayonets, they prevented the Germans from advancing and because of their fierce determination they were nicknamed les Diables Rouges [Red Devils]. The name helped to bond the unit and is said to have inspired fear in the enemy. The granite monument lists the names of 21 men who died. 27 more were wounded. During the Second World War, knowing that the occupying German forces intended to destroy the monument, local patriots carved it up and buried the pieces in situ with the intention of re-erecting it after the war. Apparently on close inspection you can see fissures in the stone testifying to the truth of the story.

This is a Mass at Croix de Wihr celebrating the birthday of Princess Charlotte.

p305459209-3.jpg

This is the newly erected war memorial:

p526983598-3.jpg

This is the war memorial and the old cross now.

p314943182-3.jpg

Gwyn

Alsace. Cimetière de Mongoutte, Ste-Marie aux Mines 1914-1918, 1939 - 1945 "Dans ce cimetière militaire reposent 1175 soldats allemands" / 1175 German soldiers rest in this military cemetery

Under construction:

p456203281-3.jpg

p229929002-3.jpg

Now:

p467796186-3.jpg

p238103249-3.jpg

My postcards.

Gwyn

Gaschney and cimetière militaire 'Germania'. French cemetery on Reichackerkopf.  Bodies exhumed in 1930s and moved to cemeteries of Chêne Millet or Wettstein.

Card posted 1921 (my card):

p1959928379-3.jpg

Now:

p1257158989-3.jpg

Gwyn

Hexenweiher (German cemetery, la Tête des Faux)

p1632323097-3.jpg

Hexenweiher, posted 1916:

p1792190391-3.jpg

Now:

p1876340329-3.jpg

p500179973-3.jpg

My cards.

Gwyn

Rabenbuhl (German cemetery, la Tête des Faux)

p658798675-3.jpg

Now:

p172899867-3.jpg

Gwyn

Wow! That's what I call a quick response. Brilliant comparisons Gwyn!

Thank you, Geraint. All my cards are ready scanned, hence easy to upload. Most of my photos and postcards would be comparisons before the war, after the war and now.

La Chapelle d'Emm, Metzeral-Sondernach, was wrecked in the battle of Metzeral, June 1915.

p657868633-3.jpg

After the war, it was rebuilt as a memorial to the soldiers who died in the Vosges, particularly in the battle for Metzeral. I took this photo from the French position at Altmattkopf.

p732659102-3.jpg

The chapel...

p867359469-3.jpg

...has beautiful stained glass windows. This one is called 'Nos morts'.

p458447384-3.jpg

More on my blog: La Chapelle d'Emm

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon
Correcting link

Metzeral then...

Metzeral pont de la Fecht postwar.jpg

...and now:

Brompton and Fecht.jpg

(These have been attached directly from my PC instead of via an external host - I normally use my Zenfolio. I'm interested to see the effect of the forum compression on the quality of the image. Edit. Hmmmm.... very lossy.)

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

Some of those images are hauntingly ethereal. What prompted your interest in (to me - a little known war region) the Vosges?

Trying to place your last three shots into order - the rebuilt chapel of Metzeral is on a far grander scale, and made of different construction material than the first. (They are one and the same aren't they?)

Agreed! That stained glass window is a gem. The poilu in the foreground. Is he a cleric? A chaplain?

Edit - You're too quick. I refer to the images in #925

Edited by geraint
Fast responses!

The link in the post about la Chapelle d'Emm was wrong and I've put it right. It's explained there. The new, much larger, chapel was built on the site of the old one. It's made of the pink-grey stone of the Vosges. It's much larger partly because the walls are lined with panels listing names of French soldiers who died in the Vosges, such as this panel:

p654288398-3.jpg

Yes - a chaplain:

p527926555-3.jpg

More pictures here.

Why am I interested? Thirty years of visits and still discovering different things every visit. A very special region in which the difficulties of logistics, transport, construction of military buildings, managing an infrastructure and maintaining remnants of civilian life alongside the constraints of mountain terrain, altitude and climate were particular to this area. Tourisme de mémoire. Unexpected sites, vestiges and traces of the men’s presence - some places are almost open-air museums themselves. Wine. Good food.

We first went to Alsace and the Vosges in about 1988. At that time there was very little to be found by way of reading and, of course, no internet, so it was a matter of triangulating memoirs, maps, the 1920 Michelin battlefield guides, conversations  and hearsay to find what there was.  To visit the Somme there was Rose Coombs' excellent guide. For the Vosges at war - nothing. It was a challenge.

Gwyn

Ooh, I'm glad this thread has been resurrected!

Ooh and me !!

Caestres, May 1918, an Australian and his cart outside the church, which has been hit on the spire.

caestres pic.JPG

img013.jpg

Edited by mebu
sizing and cropping correction attempted