Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

So lets leave it at that

Amen to that.

Come on Pals get this back on track. This is an excellent thread, please stop bickering and get back to the topic in hand.

I have no desire to complicate or extend the 'discussions' - BUT

Last summer I spent quite a bit of time trying to find the spot within the lane where these images were filmed - the 'contraversial - reversed?' shot - I found.

Looking 'down' the lane indeed - but at a point where the ground appears to slope 'upwards'...on it's way 'down'. I think we also have to allow for some shell damge to lane which may have piled earth up ? also any dirt pushed out from Russian Saps?

Don't believe me? - next time you're there...go to the 'top' of the lane - crouch down and look down the Lane - it 'rises' a bit before it falls - when it does - you're in the right spot which shows the image wasn't 'reversed'.

Simon

Amen to that.

Come on Pals get this back on track. This is an excellent thread, please stop bickering and get back to the topic in hand.

And Amen to that too... Many thanks in particular for the pics of Hill 60, the old one of which I'd seen before but can now place in context. It makes all the difference. Plus the one of Essex Farm is very helpful too.

If this carries on, there is a serious risk of a Classic Thread developing!

Man and wife on top of Ulster Tower early 1920s - believe he is pointing in general direction of Grandcoirt/Beaucourt etc .. thus te devastated area in background would be on the edge of the Schawben Redoubt ... some mess even in 1920s!

and in next post

Aerial view from WFA site (brilliant Somme aerials on there by the way) showing Tower and vicinity in recent times.

As promised

post-1582-1228823202.jpg

post-1582-1228823377.jpg

I looked in the aerial photos section and couldn't find any like this. How did you come across this?

Phew!........and back to the thread........thank you for your comments, Desmond nice picture from the 20's , and a splendid aerial view

......can anyone help with that link to the French site?

Staying with Belgium for the moment

Ramparts Cemetery

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1228830046.jpg

I've decided to delete my posts and particually my last comments as they were written in a fit of peek and I've no wish to continue an argument, that is getting in the way of a really interesting thread.

Keep the photo's coming !

Kindest Regards

Chris

All good stuff.......a nice debate, we are all here to share our views and knowledge.....but back to the comparisons

Keep the photographs coming

Staying in Belgium............Essex Farm

post-10939-1228567044.jpg

Hi Andy

In the then photo there is quite a crowd round the 49th Div memorial, do you think this picture is from the dedication (if thats the right word) of the memorial?

Another great thread by the way.

Richard

Hello Richard, good to see you on here

It looks like a service of somekind, it could well be the dedication - but at this time too there were quite a number of organised trips to the Belgium and Northern France battlefields.........Are there any books /magazine records that Forum members might have????

Can't resist these photo threads you keep starting Andy!

The photo reminded me of one I've seen of the dedication of the 62nd Div memorial at your favourite place (Havrincourt), same design as you will know, which I saw in that unique little bar there.

Cheers

Richard

Hope everyone checks Paul's recommend out. First class stuff.

Paul, Superb pictures on there, thank you for your help

Andy

Paul, Thanks very much for the link to the French site, it seems some villages have not been rebuilt.

There is so much out there for me yet to find, but I cannot live long enough.

Bob

Paul, Thanks very much for the link to the French site, it seems some villages have not been rebuilt.

There is so much out there for me yet to find, but I cannot live long enough.

Bob

That's normal paranoia Bob. I agree with you about the photos of country tracks (now) which were village streets (then) and still spookily recognisable. Amazing photos and thanks to Paul for providing the link to them.

Tom

Looking 'down' the lane indeed - but at a point where the ground appears to slope 'upwards'...on it's way 'down'. I think we also have to allow for some shell damge to lane which may have piled earth up ? also any dirt pushed out from Russian Saps?

Simon

Hiya,Simon.

We have to remember that the lane is quite a bit higher now than it was in 1916,as is the rd.between the cemetery & Ulster tower.

Dave.

Excellent comparison photos Andy & everyone.

A thread I have most enjoyed!

Hello,

here comes my contribution. Thank you Andy for technical support.

The old pic is made in April 1917 in Monchy-le-Preux, some days before the Battle of Arras commenced. It shows soldiers of I.R. 163. They had their rest billets there. I believe this must be soldiers of first battalion. My grandfather could be under them.

At the right the "mairie" and in the middle the gate to the "chateau".

Andy, when you will go to Arras don´t fail Monchy. From here you will have a splendid view to the southern battle-fields of Arras (Telegraph hill, Neuville-Vitasse).

Kind regards

Fritz

Fritz, and the rest of you lads just spur me on to do more......have been looking at the French link from Paul , great :D

Posting more tomorrow, anymore help for Tafski with his pictures?

Any of those 1920's trip pictures out there?

Andy

Can't resist these photo threads you keep starting Andy!

The photo reminded me of one I've seen of the dedication of the 62nd Div memorial at your favourite place (Havrincourt), same design as you will know, which I saw in that unique little bar there.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Andy

This is the one I meant

post-17246-1228942382.jpg

and last year

post-17246-1228942769.jpg

Hi Fritz

Liked the pics of Monchy

Hope to visit for the first time in May.

Richard

Andy, when you will go to Arras don´t fail Monchy. From here you will have a splendid view to the southern battle-fields of Arras (Telegraph hill, Neuville-Vitasse).

Kind regards

Fritz

Hi Fritz

Thanks for posting your pictures of Monchy.

My Gt Uncle was wounded there in April 1917, and later died of his wounds.

Hope to visit the area for the first time in May

Regards

Richard

Grand Hotel Wimereux pre WW1; it would later become 14th Stationary Hospital where my grandmother served as a QA. 1916 after fire, 1938 or 1919 and 1990s to follow.

post-29246-1228947518.jpg