Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

Love the Le Hamel pic !

BUT I am mightily impressed with the Poz Mill pic (modern) which gives a fantastic perspective to the overall battlefield ... in a war of movement the distance between Pozieres and the Thiepval memorial would be counted as minimal .. yet we all know how many trench lines, redoubts and MG nests had to be fought through to complete that relatively small distance during the Battle of the Somme. Excellent pic of battlefield from an unusual perspective.

Thanks.

Des

Looking towards Ulster Tower from direction of Thiepval crossroads 2006

and (thanks to a kind forum member who sent me this some years ago) the Ulster Tower under construction and graves around Mill Road still wooden crosses.

post-1582-1233497321.jpg

post-1582-1233497666.jpg

Surfheart , Superb comparisons, thank you for sharing them here. Can see that you Aussies have a good eye for a picture....very well done

Des , yes that short distance cost so many lives , the same with your nice view to the Ulster Tower....is this the view of where the Irish lads got to on July 1st?......the wooden crosses put a different slant on what we see today aswell

Here is a "Then & Now" representation of Pozieres Mill [bob G informing us that the windmill photograph is facing the wrong way]....edited 3rd Feb

Thank you, Forum keep em coming

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1233515629.jpg

The 'modern view' is probably on the 'Thiepval flank' of the Ulster Div attack .. more in direction of Crucifix. The Div were essentially headed towards Grandcourt although some did probe down the Mouquet switch for a while.

On a freezing day at Havrincourt, and some time later (also freezing, biting wind)

Peter

sorry it's not spot on repro....had a bit of difficulty shrinking to 100k

post-2649-1233590221.jpg

post-2649-1233590438.jpg

The only feature that appears 'not spot on' is the amount of snow! But it looks likle you went beyond the call of 'Then & Now' duty to try and reproduce the climate as well! Thanks.

I am waiting for Andy to puzzle it together. :)

Fritz

Peter

Post 218

You have snatched one of our proposed Camera Returns, grrrrrr !

However you have made a good job of it, unlike some of the others in this thread.

The Mill at Pozieres is from the wrong direction.

Bob Grundy

Peter

Post 218

You have snatched one of our proposed Camera Returns, grrrrrr !

However you have made a good job of it, unlike some of the others in this thread.

The Mill at Pozieres is from the wrong direction.

Bob Grundy

Bob

Which other are incorrect?

DCLI

Des, thank you I have taken another look at the account of the Irish lads attack there, a brave effort - but without support they could not hold off the German counter attacks

Peter, a very nice comparison from a place which brings back fond memories for me whilst following the history of the Yorkshire battalions, it looks rather cold to this day...lol

Bob G, I have edited the Pozieres morph, thank you for your input. What was the question concerning the Menin Road picture?

Andy

Now before you are all up in arms and cursing me, I am only pointing out fact.

The following posts have errors. They could be too close, to far, wrong angle, 180 degrees out or no reference point to confirm location.

9/ 29/ 34/ 99/ 115/ 125/ 126/ 140/ 161/ 184/ 186/ 205/ 214. Have a look at them yourselves

The Mill; a, note where the damage is, from the West. b,The remains of trees and hedges can be seen along the Albert-Bapuame road.

c, Bottom left hand of mill there is a sharpe black object which I think is the building on the road that appears on a early trench map.

This makes the Now pic approximatley 90 degrees out.

In my opinion this is the best thread, I thank all the contributers who have taken the trouble to post them and I don't want to fall out with anyone.

Bob Grundy

Agree with you, Bob.

True then & now-pics are taken from exactly the same location. Which, for whatever reason, is not always the case.

But still a great thread! (Which deserves a section of its own, as many have stated before...)

Roel

Hello Bob

Don't think you are upsetting anybody , this is what a forum is all about, You are correct about the angles of some of these pictures, but as you know this is not always an exact science, we are also looking at peoples own collections as comparisons/interpritations , with these photographs taken by the Forum members for their enjoyment, I took many of my pictures of the Cemeteries a few years ago before the digital age, I never thought I would be letting anyone else see mine, I am not a professional photographer and post to share what I have, it is my way of remembering those lads, to stand where they stood is an honour

Thank you for your kind comments too, keeping your reply in mind I think the quality of this years "Then and Nows" from the Western front will improve.....as long as we are not all dodging traffic, standing on airport runways etc, almost fallen off a wall or two in my time!

There are some superb photographs on here from the Forum and long may they continue, thank you for your input Bob

Andy

By the way , there is an excellent Then & Now thread concerning other theatres of war, wish I had some to add there too