Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

Over the few weeks I have seen a couple of suggestions for "Then and Now! photographs on the forum

Here are some firstly from the Somme area, please feel free to add any of your own

Andy

:rolleyes:

Fricourt

post-10939-1227911149.jpg

Aveluy

post-10939-1227911333.jpg

Thank you neutrino, I hope that there are plenty of others out there

Longueval , a bus full of battlefield tourists coming into the village....and 90 years ago the villagers gather to see what all the fuss is about!

post-10939-1227955397.jpg

This is a brilliant idea and your photos really bring it home that 'life goes on'.

I am particularly drawn to the cemetery one; from awful mud to beautiful manicured lawns, row upon row of orderly headstones and a memorial/statue. Very sombre

Diane

A fascinating comparison Desmond , thank you for adding the view. Diane is right in saying it shows that life goes on - to think that all that time ago those terrible things happened here...and today the same places look so beautiful and calm

Here is Longueval - Delville Wood Cemetery

post-10939-1227984335.jpg

These are fabulous! I love the then and now comparisons. Great photos all.

Fantastic!

Well a superb response........more please :D

Fricourt crossroads

post-10939-1228047290.jpg

We left the gate open this tme around

Bernafay Wood

post-10939-1228170446.jpg

Interesting that the row of stones to the right of the Cross of Sacrifice at Bernafay Wood Cem seem to have disappeared.

Interesting that the row of stones to the right of the Cross of Sacrifice at Bernafay Wood Cem seem to have disappeared.

[/quote

There still appear to be some to the right of the Cross but not so many as in the original picture. Also there seem to be less on the left hand side in the current pic.

Over the few weeks I have seen a couple of suggestions for "Then and Now! photographs on the forum

Hi Andy,

It appears you are not alone with this ‘then and now’ bug! I came across this article on the AWM website by one of their senior curators doing exactly the same thing. There are some very nice examples in here. http://www.awm.gov.au/wartime/8/articles/then_now.pdf

Cheers

Jeremy

What a great scene of Sausage valley from 90 years ago to today, an army on the move - and today, just a track across a field, thank you Ypresman

Thank you all for your kind replies, I will continue to post more of my little collection and hope to see more of any other comparisons :D

IanA , Paddy , where are those lads now?

Andy

:rolleyes:

post-10939-1228382408.jpg

IIRC, I thought there were some headstones that said 'believed to be buried in this cemetery' just as you went in the gate. Perhaps they were moved from the top of the cemetery, but I stand to be corrected if I am wrong :)

Steve