Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Honoured At Last

Waffenlandser

I think you overestimate the importance of this forum. It's an Internet message board. It may be the largest and most popular English language one, and it has among its members some very reputable published historians and some very diligent researchers with reuptations in their fields, but it isn't any more than an Internet forum.

Gwyn

Hey Gwen,

Living as I do in New Mexico the internet is the only option I have to discuss with others my interest in WW1. Books only go so far. I agree that the Great War Forum can be a snakepit at times but those times are usually pretty rare. Threads about themes which are less emotional and more factual are actually pretty free of dog pile on the monkey. I think that members are actually pretty restrained considering that no one can biff them for their remarks like they could in person.

Cheers, Bill

Must agree that exiting the thread in that way is pretty bad.....

Some might class it as desertion! Oh the irony!

either a rebuttal or a concession to their position, especially as EC has advocated such incendary viewpoints.

I concede defeat, if that will settle the herd. ;)

A common tactic of the American Indian. Then come at you from behind.

Somebody here mentioned Dawik Haig aged 98 being insulted. In my calculations thats about 75 years more on this planet than most of the boys still lyng in the mud of Flanders and the Somme.

Almost packed and ready for the flight to the Caymans in the morning. One of the only remaining lands still under the Crown. Somewhere on the island there are reported to graves of WW1 heros.

For those interested in the contribution made by men and women from the West Indies in WW1, I recommend:

1.The empty sleeve: the story of the West India Regiments of the British Army in WW1/ Bryan Dyde. - St. John's, Antigua: Hansib Caribbean

2.Race, war and nationalism: a social history of West Indians in the First World War / Glenford Deroy Howe. – Oxford: Ian Randle, James Currey,

Dutchie ole fella. The beers, and the brisket are on me.

GOT A LOT TO TALK ABOUT. :P

BTW We often come up to Santa Fe in the old RV. Stay at the KOA on the Old Las Vegas Hiway. I love that breakfast joint ,Cafe Zia on Guadalupe st.

What those who think Barry has been unfairly treated have to realise is that he got off to a bad start in Post 1 not by raising shot at dawn but citing the rubbish from the New York Times (November 28) with inaccurate stuff about the execution post at Poperinghe. 'Honoured at Last. Belgium remembers the Executed'. The post has been there for at least 11 years and is not an official Belgian memorial but from some kind of localised initiative. He then went on to say 'The British have also at last erected a memorial' which was actually an initiative by the SAD campaigners in arranging for a memorial plot at the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas. Citing a poor source was later exacerbated by regularly throwing in wild assertions without support. To take a lead on a controversial thread requires a greater depth of knowledge and historical understanding.

It has also been pointed out (many, many times Arnie) that I am not funny!!

I believe folk who have heard Pete's WFA "Bloody April" talk will disagree.

dont post much because of this kind of rubbish, bullying should not allowed.

how many soldiers were shot between the setting up of the army act to the beginning of ww1?

"reign in your temper.........."

Peter,

you say you don't have a sense of humour but that one's a gem!

• 2 weeks later...

Does any one know who the firing squad was for Harry Farr? Was there ever any cases of men from the same battallion forming the firing squad to execute the accused? Friends killing friends as twere..

Does any one know who the firing squad was for Harry Farr? Was there ever any cases of men from the same battallion forming the firing squad to execute the accused? Friends killing friends as twere..

The answer to your second question is yes. Among several executions in the book 'Forgotten Voices' (veterans' accounts of their war experiences) is one example. Others will perhaps be able to tell you how frequently this occurred.

Ann