Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On the Somme

Mark A

Hello, I'm a new user- just surfing around looking at WW1 related pages and glad I found this great looking site.

I went back to the Somme this year after a gap of over ten years. I was showing my wife and a couple of friends around and desperately trying to remember what unit fought where (I guess you could call me a lapsed WW1 student). I have to say I was really suprised by the amount of people on the Somme, the visitor numbers were incredible. A new visitor centre at Newfoundland Park and fenced off areas... it was all a bit dispiriting at first, like finding a favourite quiet little bar had been discovered. But then I thought, hell, stop being so selfish, you should be glad that people are visiting even if it means that it's turned into "real" history, roped off and packaged up.

Anyway, much of the Somme was as quiet and peaceful as I remember and hadn't changed a bit. Which was reassuring somehow. Anyway, I have a couple of questions:

1) I remember talking to the then warden of Newfoundland Park and he was saying he hoped one day the tunnels around Y-Ravine would be opened up. Any news on this?

2) Does anybody know anything about the Thiepval visitors centre?

While the tunnels have been surveyed it seems that funding (or lack of it) means that public access to the tunnel system around the Y Ravine is unlikely - sadly.

I understand that the Thiepval centre will open 1st July or 11th November 2004.

There is also a small shed/office !!!(hard to find a word for it) just a bit down from the memorial a guy who was giving out the visitor center newsletter told me to go down and have a look there is a model etc. there.

Conor :)

Just a bit of detail. Many of the tunnels in the 'Leiling Schlucht' (Leiling Ravine) including the rather large 'Leiling Stollen' were the result of hard work by the 14/99 Reserve under Hauptmann Franz Leiling in 1915. Leiling was later killed near Cambrai in 1918.

Ralph

That's fascinating Ralph - I didn't know Leiling was killed. Does he have a known grave?

Incidentally, I understand that the tunnels down there are covered with British graffitti from the winter of 1916/17; the good old Jerries kept their house in order, while we defaced it once we had it in our hands!!

Paul, As far as I can tell he does not have any known grave. The descriptions given of the size and use of many of the tunnels are quite fascinating.

While the British mayhave defaced them to some degree the Germans were content with carving scenes from home and sometimes religious altars in various spots. I would love to see a plan of the tunnels at one point as I only have several photos of the work being done by the miners belonging to the 99th Reserve.

Ralph