Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Advance of the guard

Adam Shaw

I wonder if anyone can help with the following. A work colleague was telling me that a chap he has an interest in was killed near Ypres in, I think, 1917. He understood the man to have been killed in the "advance of the guard". This is not a term I've come across previously and was curious to know if anyone could cast light on the meaning of the phrase? What was involved in an 'advance of the guard'?

Alickie.

He did tell me the chaps name and unit altjhough I didn't have a note of it when I put the post on. However, I'm pretty sure the unit wasn't the Guards in any form. Advance of the guard as in simply the guard advanced did cross my mind but again it's not a phrase I've come across before. I'll check the Unit tomorrow.

Alickie

Alickie,

I'm with Squirrel.

An 'advance guard' (possibly 'advanced guard' at the time; I can't find my copy of Field Service Regulations Part 1, the textbook that remained definitive throughout the war according to the General Staff) is a recognised component of a substantial body of troops on the move. In mobile warfare and , possibly, semi-mobile warfare it will usually comprise of a mixture of arms, infantry, artillery, cavalry and engineers to be able to respond to most situations, thus allowing the 'main body' of troops behind to move in close formation without having to deploy too early. The balance of these elements will depend on the tactical situation.

The advance guard is itself preceded by the vanguard (little fleas have lesser fleas). In 1917, on the Western Front, I don't think that the concept would be applicable but it certainly was by August 1918.

However, in 1917 when attacking troops were moving forward in artillery formation before deploying and extending into waves, sections and platoons may well have been preceded by a couple of scouts fulfilling, on this level, the function of an advanced guard. However, to check this chapter and verse, one would need to consult pamphlets such as SS 143 , SS 135 and the Normal Formation for the Attack

Ian

Thanks very much for that Ian. Adding to Squirrels view, I can see where that would come from. Looking forward to checking out the pamphlets you've mentioned.

Alickie