Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what regs served in transvaal south africa

Julie w

Hi,i have a gt uncle who according to family went to south africa and served maybe with south african rifles.Is there a database for south african soldiers or anyone come across this name,thanks julie

Did your great uncle also serve in WW1?

Assuming it's Namibia, i'd also be interested in a database that contained South African soldiers.

Neil

Hi kate yes i think he did,i remember my gran talking about her brother in south africa,he died there in 1928 in a mining accident.she mentioned something about south african rifles thats all i know cheers julie

Julie

There was the German South West Africa campaign with some minor border raids into SA, the 1914/15 Rebellion in South Africa and the German East Africa campaign. It is likely that his unit was the South African Mounted Rifles.

Chris Boonzaaier (GSWA)and bushfighter (GEA) are the best sources.

Here is the very best Order of Battle for GSWA from Chris's web site http://www.trenchfighter.com/40117/40726.html

All the service records exist and can be easily accessed but some of these records are sparse.

I will try and give you some pointers.

My recommendation would be to use a private researcher instead of the free but slowwwwwwwww official system.

Carl