Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery Officer Military Cross awards

Aaron Nelson

Hi all,

A unit I am studying is "A" battery of the 330 Brigade RFA. Three of its officers received the Military Cross namely

2/Lieut J.T. Mailer awarded on the 29th of May 1918 and

Lt G.B. Anderson awarded as part of Kings birthday honours 1st of June 1918.

And finally, 2/lieut A.W Osborne awarded on the 26th of November 1917 for gallantary on the 28th of October 1917.

Can anyone tell me where I could find the citations for these awards or the reason they were awarded these medals.

Many thanks in advance for any replies of help.

regards Aaron.

Lieut. G.B. Anderson's MC was gazetted on 3 June 1918 and as that is a Birthday Honor there will be no citation.

The MC to 2/Lieut James Mailer was gazetted in the London Gazette of 16 Oct 18 with the following citation: "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Under intense bombardment this officer made his way to the control post, and there received instructions to withdraw his gun detachments, all his guns having been destroyed. He personally carried many wounded to the sap, and then joined the remnants of another battery, assisting them to keep guns in action until enemy infantry were within 400 yards. His conduct throughout was splendid."

The MC to 2nd Lieutenant Arthur Walter Osborne was gazetted on 18 Jan 18 and the citation is in the London Gazette "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in command of his battery after his battery commander had been wounded, keeping his men at their guns during a long and heavy hostile bombardment, although himself slightly wounded in the forearm."

Regards, Dick Flory

Outstanding,

Thanks so much Dick, great to get your response so quickly.

cheers Aaron.