Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Munitions workers

Joy Dean

I understand that my Granny Eva Brooks and her sisters Minnie Harrison and Prissy Monks worked in munitions.

Would anyone be able to tell me anything about munitions workers, please, and where they might have been? - Woolwich Arsenal? They lived in Lambeth / Vauxhall.

Thank you.

Joy

post-6-1079041719.jpg

Guest Pete Wood

Lambeth and Vauxhall are (just) in SE London. But it is a fair distance to Woolwich, so I suspect that the sisters probably worked closer to home.

There were hundreds of firms making munitions - or parts of munitions - all over London (and the rest of the UK), so you would only be guessing about their place of work.

However, I recently discovered that SOME records of munitions workers have survived - and are in the following place:

Mr I. C. Todd

Civilian Records Management for Director (D S D C )

Ministry of Defence

Defence Storage and Distribution Centre

Llangennech

Llanelli

Carmarthenshire

SA14 8YP

Tel 01554 822 352

Fax 01554 822 350

Mr Todd is a very enthusiastic historian, and is always keen to help. You will need to give him as much information as possible - full name, date of birth (if known) etc.

Don't expect miracles. It is like stepping back in time, dealing with this place, and you'll get funny replies such as "What's an email.....?" :blink:

If you strike lucky, tell me the secret of your success. I have given them a dozen names so far, without any 'hits.' But it has to be worth a phone call.....

I'm sure there is a feature article on munitions workers in the current issue of Family History Monthly that may give some more pointers.