Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tadworth Camp, Tadworth, Surrey

high wood

I have a letter card sent from Tadworth Camp in Surrey. Does anyone know the exact location of the camp? I know that the area has been "developed" in recent years and has changed greatly since 1915 but does anything remain of the original site?

post-6480-1227442166.jpg

post-6480-1227442210.jpg

post-6480-1227442252.jpg

post-6480-1227442291.jpg

• 11 years later...

The YMCA hut interior as pictured at Tadworth Camp is in fact instantly recognizable to any one familiar with the interior of Tadworth Village Hall  in 2019 (even the clock is in the same place)!  This is not the same building as appears in the first photograph which would have been a temporary affair; the YMCA hut which opened in July 1915.

Tadworth Village Hall, originally a Tin Tabernacle church but was purchased and relocated to it's present location in 1907, the land it sits on was gifted to the Village for the provision of a Working Men's Club (1899) which also still exists [as Tadworth Social Club] the village Hall was attached to the working mens' club in 1907 where both remain as of 2019. 

When WW1 began the Village Hall was let free of charge for events aiding the war effort and from 1915 for recreation of troops encamped in the area.

Edited by Guest

• 6 months later...

Additional info, a few hundred yards from Tadworth Village hall - not to be confused with Tadworth Church Hall - still stands a PH then called the Bricklayers Arms now the Grumpy Mole. The Arms was used as a canteen for locally based troops. Info from a local old boy back in the early '80's who as a child sang and danced for the troops at the canteen.

With regard to Tadworth Camp - an ongoing project - I have now accumulated a vast amount of information, photographs and a few physical items, including the remains of a rifle and a tunic button from mine and a neighbours garden - I live on part of what was the domestic site. Working hard to put it into readable form for the Woodland Trust. The Woodland Trust English memorial wood at Langley Vale, Epsom Downs which covers about half of the camp, is now almost completed. The field, in 1915 which housed practise trenches for the London units based there, is now covered in a red sheet of poppies I noted whilst walking there last Tuesday, sadly very appropriate as it was the eve of 1st of July. 

I was going to copy you in on this, Tim. But you're here, anyway! I've emailed you re your contact via my website...

Bernard

Thanks again. Were you aware that Christopher's original grave marker is displayed in the Crypt of All Hallows by the Tower ( Toc H)? 

Yes, I was. 

Bernard