Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MFP - France July 1916 - C Goldstone P.8710

Trish2

Hi, can anybody help me with where to start looking for him. I understand the MPs would have been attached to a regiment (were they unpopular). This one was my grandad and from all accounts he was a very gentle man. He was sent him in July 1916 with a GSWH. His pension record conflicts. On one page it says he was a private and on another it says he was a lance corporal. This is all I know. All I have found is his pension's record card with the medical records attached. He was treated for years with the GSWH. Apparently there was a large hole and he had bone removed in a hospital in Woolwich before being sent home to Leeds and looked after by the Infirmary there. I would be very grateful if anybody could help.

Many thanks

Trish.

Trish

I found his medal card on Ancestry UK (It's free to look this month). The details are:

L/Cpl Claud GOLDSTONE P8710 Military Foot Police. Enlisted 29.12.1915. Discharged 10.12.1917 under AO265/17 B (I think Army Orders). His medals are shown in List MPC41. I feel that this might possibly also refer to a Silver War Badge given to wounded and discharged soldiers,and there might be a second card showing medals if that is so.

If you log on to Ancestry and register in a minimal way you can get to see this Card and download it for your records.

Sotonmate

PS GSWH = gun shot wound (head ?) hip (?) etc.

Trish

I found his medal card on Ancestry UK (It's free to look this month). The details are:

L/Cpl Claud GOLDSTONE P8710 Military Foot Police. Enlisted 29.12.1915. Discharged 10.12.1917 under AO265/17 B (I think Army Orders). His medals are shown in List MPC41. I feel that this might possibly also refer to a Silver War Badge given to wounded and discharged soldiers,and there might be a second card showing medals if that is so.

If you log on to Ancestry and register in a minimal way you can get to see this Card and download it for your records.

Sotonmate

Hi,

Thanks for this. I will have a look. I don't suppose you know what the MPs actually did and if they were attached to a regiment do you?

Thanks

Trish

PS GSWH = gun shot wound (head ?) hip (?) etc.