Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Forces in Italy

Chris_Baker

Through my interest in the 1st South Staffords I have a broader interest in that very neglected campaign conducted by British and other forces in Italy, 1917-1918.

This thread is to sound out any pals interested in forming a special interest group along the lines of the Salonika Campaign Sociery or the Gallipoli Association.

My thinking is something along these lines:

> a small annual subscription

> a six-monthly members newsletter

> an annual day school or seminar

> an annual battlefield trip

> a members website

> encouraging more interest and research into the campaign

> encouraging links with historians/groups/local contacts in Italy.

I'd also try my University of Birmingham links as far as promotion/possible location for meetings, etc

So, big question, would anyone be up for this kind of thing? Any other/different ideas about how to go about it, comments etc all welcome.

I'd be interested. It's certainly a very under-reported campaign.

Might be good to add the opposition forces to the overseas contacts.

Chris.

Kate & I would be interested - anything that is away from "The Western Front" gets our vote.

One of the strengths of the SCS is it's links with commemoration ceremonies both here and in "theatre" - just a thought?

ALSO - I don't think it should be restricted to the British involvement or limited to 1917-1918.

Martin

Gets my vote, and agree it should cover not just the British involvement. (I have a growing interest in Italy 1943-45 as well)

Definite interest, particularly in the activities of 2 BORDER, Labour units and Intellligence personnel.

Interested, though have done nothing very much about it.

We also have quite a big house (two actually) at Rovereto, where there is a large Italian (and Austro Hungarian, for that matter) ossuary and very interesting military museum; the house has about twenty or twenty five bedrooms (designed for boarders, but all en suite, so maybe quite useful for a summer time visit? Good rail connections to Verona and onwards to Padua and Venice, for those interested in less military type things.

I would be interested in this. I would love to learn more about the Campaign in Italy and the cemeteries and memorials. My interest really is with the 11th Notts and Derbys (like Richard) and the Mansfield Woodhouse lads who fault and fell there.

Three Royal West Kent battalions served in Italy so opportunity to learn more about the campaign is welcome.

However the major attraction is the opportunity of a repeat battlefield trip to Italy - logistically not an easy battlefield tour to arrange.

Hi Chris As Unit coordinator of the York and Lancaster Regiment of the Great War Society I and some colleagues had the pleasure of attending the 90th Anniversary of the Battle of the Solstice at Nervesa Della Battaglia (Piave River) which was fantastic, with over 250 living historians from all over Europe taking part. We are hoping to return to Italy next year to visit our italian friends and see the Asiago Plateu are in the mountains.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chris

As I hve a similar interest in the Italian front - because of my father's serviuce in the 7th Div with the 1st South Staffs please count me in.

David Fox

I am researching the 123 Bde, part of 41 Div which was on the Montello between Nov 1917 and early March 1918. I have bits of information / reminiscence but I'd be interested in learning more.

I would imagine the Royal Warwicks had more battalions serving in Italy during 1917-18, than any other regiment (unless, you know better). So, you can count me in aswell.

Terry

Chris,

I would be extremely interested as my Grandfather was in Italy.

See my signature.

Regards Frances

Did someone mention a battlefield trip - did someone mention trains - seriously as the Norfolks were involved in that campaign I would be interested

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

And count me in, too; a great idea!

The Italian Front/Campaign has something for everybody; fighting from sea-level in the marshes near Venice (heavy artillery on barges..) to skirmishes among high peaks in the Dolomites (and a medium artillery pieced hauled up to 12,000 ft or so, mainly by Russian PoWs). Railways; standard guage including a Hungarian-built armoured train used to raid Monfalcone station, Italian and French railway guns... narrow gauge, including rack-and-pinion on the ascent to the Asiago plateau, and a RE Railway Operating Company plus French-operated lines and numerous Italian street'road tramways. Air? RFC/RAF including Tony Benn's father helping parachute an Italian agent onto a mountain pasture; Italian flying bombs (including a biplane one...), and much, much more.

A fellow enthusiast (and an experienced italain battlefield guide), Dale Hjort, currently off-line, is also interested.

Francis Mackay

in cold and snowy Scotland

Hello Francis, glad you are still kicking! Dale too. I have been back to Italian Front since our Flanders Tours trip and spent time in Slovenia too. beautiful there as well as Asiago, I may try to get US Branch WFA there later, our 09 trip is F & F as usual.

And hello, to you,too, Paul/Pete! Glad all goes well with you and the Chapter. Italy looks better and better every time I go; still much research to be done, mind. Going to support Chris's idea? Regards, Francis