Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regular Army service of Grand Dad's

Guest rosalind ann

Guest rosalind ann

Hi I'm looking for some help tracing the army service records for my great grandfather and my grandfather who were near in age to one another. Both in the army at the same time during WW1.

I have found War records for them both on Ancestry. My great grandfather Arthur Foy never returned to his family in Glasgow, they believed he died at The Dardanelles 1914. On his service records it states that he had a pension and lived in the London area in 1919.

On the otherhand I have my grandfather Percy William Wingate born in Dartford serving with a regiment stationed in Glasgow in 1920. Could it have been possible for the two of them to have been in different regiments and stationed in Glasgow at the same time?

Arthur Foy DOB 1889 Private 10460 The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders 6th battalion then The Royal Scots Private 15669, 1914 - 1919.

Percy William Wingate DOB 05/10/1891 The Royal Field Artillery He was still in the army when he married my grandmother in Glasgow 1920, he also served in France.

Can anyone help with this or point me in the right dirrection?

Ros

Hi I'm looking for some help tracing the army service records for my great grandfather and my grandfather who were near in age to one another. Both in the army at the same time during WW1.

I have found War records for them both on Ancestry. My great grandfather Arthur Foy never returned to his family in Glasgow, they believed he died at The Dardanelles 1914. On his service records it states that he had a pension and lived in the London area in 1919.

On the otherhand I have my grandfather Percy William Wingate born in Dartford serving with a regiment stationed in Glasgow in 1920. Could it have been possible for the two of them to have been in different regiments and stationed in Glasgow at the same time?

Arthur Foy DOB 1889 Private 10460 The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders 6th battalion then The Royal Scots Private 15669, 1914 - 1919.

Percy William Wingate DOB 05/10/1891 The Royal Field Artillery He was still in the army when he married my grandmother in Glasgow 1920, he also served in France.

Can anyone help with this or point me in the right dirrection?

Ros

You may have the wrong Arthur Foy. The one below was killed in action in 1915 and is comemorated on the Halles Memorial. His medal Roll is listed on Ancestry. It seems to match the details that you have on your Great Grandfather

1914-15 Star

War Medal

Victory Medal

Name:FOY, ARTHUR

Initials:A

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Unit Text:8th Bn.

Date of Death:28/06/1915

Service No:434

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Panel 92 to 97.

Memorial:HELLES MEMORIAL

Steve