Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW! Soldier James Buckby

Guest scarlett

Hi everyone, Looking for information or advice and how to go about it on Srg James Buckby, serviced in the Manchester Regiment and The East Yorkshire Regiment. Nos. 31018, 30122 respectively. I posted this request on the Manchster Forum and they kindly informd me that James did not get abroad until the 31st Decembr 1915 and that his meddles were given whilst in The East Yorkshire Reg. According to family stories James was mentioned in despatches for going over the top to rescue injured colleagues and wondered if there were any sites to confirm this. Any assistance welcome. Information for my personal use and for a school project which his g g grandaughter is doing. Thanks again.

Here's his medal card, for what it's worth.

post-16913-1227353467.jpg

He did not qualify for a 1914-15 Star and so he did not enter a theatre of war until after 31st December 1915. He therefore received the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

I cannot see James' service records on Ancestry so presumably they have not survived.

I note that he was a Sergeant. I wonder whether he had pre-war service?

Noel

James Buckby seems to have been part of a group of men transferred from the Manchesters to the East Yorkshire Regiment.

I suspect he was part of a large group of men transferring at the same time. If one of our East Yorkshire experts doesn't pick this up, I will try and have a look later.

Steve.

Hi,

James transferred to the EYR and was posted to the 10th Battalion on 02/04/1918 joining in the field on 05/04/1918, I don't have any record of him recieving a Mention in Despatches whilst with the East Yorkshire Regiment.

Regards Charles