Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buffs in India

ajwakelen

I am a new member of this forum, and i have been told that this forum will hepl me with some of the research i am trying to find.

My Great Great Uncle Fred Wakelin fought with the 1st/4th Bn. the Buffs. I have got his service number (200855), the date he died and that his name lies on the Madras 1914-1918 war memorialin chennai. But i would like to find out information on were he was fighting, which unit he was in and any information on what it was like out there, and if lucky on how he died.

Any information will be usefull.

Thank you

Alex wakelen

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_detail...5401&mode=1

1/4th Buffs went to India in October '14 (the Territorial Force was used to replace regular troops who came back to France). In July '15 they went to Aden, returning to India in Feby '16. As Fred Wakelin is listed as 'Died' in Soldiers Died in the Great War (as opposed to 'Killed in Action', 'Died of Wounds' or whatever), I suspect he died of sickness or accident, rather than in any fighting. I'm unsure, but I don't think the 1'4th Buffs were involved in anything.

1/4th Buffs went to India in October '14 (the Territorial Force was used to replace regular troops who came back to France). In July '15 they went to Aden, returning to India in Feby '16. As Fred Wakelin is listed as 'Died' in Soldiers Died in the Great War (as opposed to 'Killed in Action', 'Died of Wounds' or whatever), I suspect he died of sickness or accident, rather than in any fighting. I'm unsure, but I don't think the 1'4th Buffs were involved in anything.

thank you for the information it realy helps

alex wakelen

Alex

To confirm what Broomers has already said, Fred Wakelin was only entitled to the British War Medal which means that his service was entrirely in India. They were there on colonial duties.

Please note that SDGW is wrong and that he died on 2/1/1918 in Bareilly Hospital from empyema (no, I don't know what that is!). He was in A Company of the 1/4th Battalion

Mick

Alex

To confirm what Broomers has already said, Fred Wakelin was only entitled to the British War Medal which means that his service was entrirely in India. They were there on colonial duties.

Please note that SDGW is wrong and that he died on 2/1/1918 in Bareilly Hospital from empyema (no, I don't know what that is!). He was in A Company of the 1/4th Battalion

Mick

thank you very much. we had very little information about him. your information has been very useful for my research.

Thank you again

alex

would anyone have any idea what the 1/4th battalion the buffs role was out in india during there different periods they were out in india.

any information would be usefull

alex

Hi Alex

My great grandfather was in the 1/4th Buffs and I have his diary for 1917, the war diary and a few photos if you would be interested in seeing them? Drop me a PM with an email and I'll send them to you.

His diary is more concerned with what he had for tea than greater historical matters (!) but there are some interesting snippets and mentions of other men.

All the best

Tim