Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Notts and Derby Soldier, information required

BRONNO

I am trying to gather information with regards to 84026 Pte John William Hill who served with the 9th Battalion Notts and Derby Regt. There isn't very much information on his MIC card and no detailed information from the Regimental Archives at Nottingham. He was from the town of Bulwell in Nottingham where he was conscripted in 1916. Any other information would be greatly appreciated. :huh:

BRONNO

9th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (N&D) wer part of 33 Brigade of 11 Division. Their first Theatre of War was at Gallipoli from August 1915,and then to France from Egypt in Jul 1916.

There are several War Diaries. The Gallipoli hasn't turned up easily on the Kew Archives site but the Jul 1916 to Jul 1917 France Diary has,under WO95/1813. To get the Gallipoli one it might be that you have to search on 11 Division and go through all the entries unitl you hit 33 Brigade's elements.

Sotonmate

The Gallipoli war diaries have not survived but he would not have been there anyway.

I have the war diaries from July 1st 1916 until may 1919. Do you have an enlistment date for him or date of entry to theatre? They fought at Messines under the Irish Divisions. 3rd Ypres - Battle of Lamgemarck and Battle of Broodeseinde. 1918- Arwa of Loos and Mazingarbe until August when they took part in the last 100 days. Attached to the Canadian Corps for a time. Last battle at Sebourg on 4th November 1918.

Steve m

Hi there's a possible on Ancestry which is free this month

British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920

about John William Hill

Name: John William Hill

Regiment Name: Sherwood Foresters

Regiment Number: ??87

Number of Images: 20

mel

His medal index card shows nothing to help and I cannot find him on Ancestry. I have the following in the 9th Bn -

84021,22,23,26,27,29,30,31, so will check them on Ancestry. Hopefully one of them will have records which will give us an enlistment date.

steve m

more -

Just had a look for all of the men above. None of the MICs have date of entry into theatre!

84022 Pte William Henry Kirkham does have records though. He was formerly in 10th North Staffs and moved to 9th Bn SF on 11/4/1917. 15 OR's did join the battalion from Etaples on 8th April.

sm

His medal index card shows nothing to help and I cannot find him on Ancestry.

Thanks Steve and Mel, back to the drawing board with this one then.

For your records Steve I have some paperwork with regards to 11787 L/Cpl Thomas Flowers, he enlisted into the 1st Battalion The Notts and Derbys 3.2.1912. and then later into the 9th Battalion ('D') Coy. He was admitted into St Bartholomews Hospital (President Ward) with a Gunshot wound to his left arm 20th Feb 1918 and discharged 14th May 1918. He came from Radcliffe on Trent near Nottingham. Ref from 'Soldiers Pay book/Active service' and 'Small Book' etc. BRONNO.