Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MACHINE GUN CORPS

Jim Mitchell

Good morning all. I am currently researching corporal John James Luther Pickering 8755 MGC. and latterly 18931 Leic Rgt. Is there anyone who could give me any information about this soldier? ie date of enlistment, service etc. I have his MIC and census returns . Best regards.

Can anyone help. regards.

Hi, a general introduction. MGC was created taking those designated as machine gun team members from other regiments. The first 3000 numbers were allocated to members of the existing motor machine gun service. My grandfather was MGC 6615 and we think he joined in January 1916. Men were numbered in sequence and were transferring in huge numbers so a 8000 number would I suspect be spring of 1916.

Are you sure his Leicester Regt number was after his MGC service as the route was usually the other way. Staffsyeoman has done a lot of work on numbers in MGC so a message to him might bring forward more.

Good luck

David

Thankyou David the information you gave ties up with family information which we were unsure of so you have confirmed it with your spring of 1916. The Leicester number is after the MGC number. Best regards and thankyou.