Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Essex Regiment

Calvin Sandcraft

Hi

I would love to know the precise details of where the 10th Essex Regiment were at the end of September 1917.

My Grandfather 14952 private Alfred Sandcraft was reported missing on 30th September 1917. He was very badly wounded and taken a prisoner of war.

If anyone has the 10th Essex war diaries and can tell me this information I would be most grateful.

Also are there any casualty lists and was he reported missing in them?

Many thanks

Calvin

Calvin

The War Diary for 10 Essex is under WO95/2038 and runs from Jul 1915 to Apr 1919.

The major happenings for Sept 1917 were at Third Ypres (Passchendaele). My library book on those battles mentions the 10 Essex, it's parent outfits 53 Brigade of 18 Division,engaged in the Battle of Passchendaele Ridge on the 12 October,but nothing shown for any earlier battles there,but they may have been in the line and not put out on an attack. In these times there were huge amounts of fire,counter-fire and counter-attacks,and I have read of units being isolated and many soldiers captured on both sides.

Someone here may have some of the Diary which could help you,otherwise Kew Archives do provide pages for payment at the rate of 8.50 per 10 pages. If you order,say,from 20 September forward you should easily get the days you want,including an overlap just in case more info was written a few days after the event.You need the National Archives Catalogue Digital Express service for this.

Sotonmate

He was reported wounded and prisoner in the War Office Weekly Casualty List of 31.1.18

Sandcroft 14952 A (Thetford)

He was also reported POW again in the War Office List of 28.5.18 which was published in the Times on 30.5.18 (available on line)

At the end of September 1917 the Battalion was at out of the line at Roubrouck, moving to St Janster Bienzen on the 23rd. The diary records company and Lewis gun training. No casualties. What is the source of the "Missing" report?

Calvin

There is a book by ex-officers Banks and Chell called With the 10th Essex in France and Flanders. It is quite a small book but not a bad read. Not impossible to find, and it may even be reprinted.

Regards

W.

Calvin

There is a book by ex-officers Banks and Chell called With the 10th Essex in France and Flanders. It is quite a small book but not a bad read. Not impossible to find, and it may even be reprinted.

Regards

W.

I have a copy. Nice little book. I'll have a look in it this evening to see if there's anything relevant.

As Owen says, battalion out of the Line. The battalion history and the divisional history say nothing about any action in the period.

Is it possible he was on a working party or something and somehow was captured?

He was reported wounded and prisoner in the War Office Weekly Casualty List of 31.1.18

Sandcroft 14952 A (Thetford)

He was also reported POW again in the War Office List of 28.5.18 which was published in the Times on 30.5.18 (available on line)

At the end of September 1917 the Battalion was at out of the line at Roubrouck, moving to St Janster Bienzen on the 23rd. The diary records company and Lewis gun training. No casualties. What is the source of the "Missing" report?

Owen

Where do I find the War Office Weekly Casualty List of 31.1.18? Was this also published in the Times?

Thanks for the info, I shall now have a look at the Times online.

The source of the ''Missing'' report was from a parish magazine called ''The Breckland Magazine'' published during the war. This magazine printed news from the troops at the front, was distributed around the local parishes and also sent back out to the troops. In this way the men at the front saw their own words in print and recieved news of their fellow Brecklanders.

It could be possible he was wounded and taken POW before this date, maybe August or early September

Calvin

If you want a copy of the War Office Weekly Casualty List, you could go to the British Newspaper Library in Colindale. Wait an hour to get the microfilm and then spend many happy minutes searching for the relevant section. Or make do with the scan of the photocopy of the printout of the microfilm attached:

Regards Owen

Under Heading WOUNDED AND PRISONER IN GERMAN HANDS

post-4842-1227477468.jpg