Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Kenneth Noble Pearson - 962

pearsonica

I have a picture of my Grandfather and it is funny that my mates call me Bigs or Biggles. Seeing him in this Long scarf He must be the original Biggles.

Would he be in front of the Hangers in Birmingham where he learnt to fly?

Could some one also let me know if this crashed aircraft is a newport I can't quite read the number on the tail.

post-41022-1227211573.jpg

post-41022-1227211656.jpg

I'm no expert but didn't the Nieuports with square section fuselages have 'V' struts, not the parrallel ones as shown in the photo?

Steve

The twin bays (i.e two sets of struts between the wings) and the single skid between the wheels suggest this is an Avro 504.

The pale fuselage colour (unpainted doped linen) suggests this is from early in the war, though that is a generalization and its difficult to be certain of colour shades in black and white photos.

I agree with Adrian - it looks like an Avro 504 with a non-standard proportions fuselage roundel.

Gareth

Gareth, I just happened to notice a picture of a crashed 504 in an old C&C journal (1973) that had an identical roundel (both in diameter and position). It was from 52 Training Squadron - but I don't have a date on it.

Steve

Steve

I've seen a few photos of Avros 504s with 'French-style' proportioned roundels, ie 4/7/10 or the modern RAF 1/2/3 rather than the standard RFC/RNAS 1/3/5 (where the first number is the red inner, the second the white circle and the third the blue. It obviously took a while to get things standardised.

Cheers

Gareth

• 11 years later...

I have just found a better picture of this crashed Aircraft in my Grandfathers trunk we have found in my father's House. It looks like he once flew this aircraft its an Avro 504 not sure of the Mark but the photo was taken end of August 1915 when he was with 20 Squadron at Netheravon when he was getting some advance flying training. It was certainly advanced compared to the Maurice Farman he flew at Castle Bromwich at the begging of August 1915. You can see the tail section better which is definatly an Avro 504. The Number I believe is A760. The A being obliterated by the ground.  

I attach a copy of his log book showing that the instructor was Captain C. W. Wilson (Any body got a photo of the Chap or info on him?)

Regards

Ian Pearson

Avro 504 no A760 Netheravon Aug 1915.jpg

Underneath the Avro 504 - A760 August 1915.jpg

KNP RFC Log Book Page 4.jpg

The only C.W. Wilson I could see in the Royal Aero Club certificate records was Lt Christopher William WILSON, HM Army who passed his test in 1912. His medal index card shows he was Seaforth Highlanders (attached RFC) and ended the war as a LT-Col in the RAF. Disembarked in France 16th August 1914.

By 1915 with three years flying experience, and possibly flying on the Western Front from August 1914, seems just the type to have been an advanced training instructor.

2079298885_ScreenShot2020-02-06at14_43_56.png.ed5efbd58fa22c51eb0d10f2115246d1.png                   2050978189_ScreenShot2020-02-06at14_38_19.png.41e04e9bcfedf750a698eec5df34466e.png

both images courtesy of ancestry.co.uk