Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dugout experience

unicorn

Hi all,

As the topic description already told, the Memorial Museum in Zonnebeke will have his opening weekend next month. Here are some scans of the pamphlet.

I can scan the pamphlet also in the German and French version.

greetings

danny

post-12-1078997956.jpg

Here is the inside scan of the pamphlet

greetings

danny

post-12-1078998101.jpg

The program for that weekend

greetings

danny

post-12-1078998833.jpg

Does this mean the British? dug out at the brick works I was in in 97 will open again?

Paul,

Last and only time I checked that site out was in May 2001 and one of the ventilation shafts had collapsed. :( It will take some sound engineer work to repair the collapse and I doubt the brick yard would fork out the money. Repairs and reopening would mean visitors and I'm sure googly eyed tourist tramping through the brick yard would be quite dangerous.

Of course it would be great if it was repaired, reopened and a new means of accessing the site could be built/opened so people could go back and see it with out going through the work areas.

Unicorn

Any chance of getting a translated version of the pamphlet. The tour sounds nice, any idea if a English version will be available?

Thanks for the info,

Jon

I have the information on this posted on my site under 'news from the front' - here is the outline of the tours -

MEMORIAL MUSEUM PASSCHENDAELE 1917 (the former Streekmuseum) -

The new museum is built around a series of 17 largely reconstructed episodes of the battle, historically made with the original equipment, uniforms etc. Visitors will walk in a German trench and descend through a long stairs in a WWI dugout, complete with headquarters, communication posts, dressing station etc.

It will be a military museum with a high sense for experience that will fascinate people from all ages. Visits will take about an hour and guides are not essential. Price for ALL groups: € 3,00 – individuals € 5,00

BATTLEFIELD TOUR PASSCHENDAELE 1917 -

A special designed guided excursion to the battlefields of Passchendaele 1917. In about three hours we do a fully commented coach tour, passing Zonnebeke, Polygon Wood, Clapham Junction, Menin Road, Gheluvelt, Broodseinde and Passchendaele in order to see all aspects of the most horrible battle of the First World War. The tour includes three visits:

- Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 (starting point)

- Cryer Farm, underground German dressing station (recently discovered and only to be visited in this tour as it is on private land)

- Tyne Cot Cemetery

The price of the guided tour is € 7,00 p.p.

GERMAN TRENCHES BAYERNWALD -

Thanks to a collaboration with the Association for Battlefield Archaeology in Flanders, we can also arrange a FREE visit to a recently restored German trench-system in Wytschaete, including 300 metres of trenches, four concrete bunkers, a mortar post and a 100 feet deep mineshaft. This is a real experience for visitors as they can walk through the trenches, discovering the bunkers etc., similar to Hill 62, but German and authentically rebuilt on archaeological traces and with educational plates and reception room. There is no entrance fee, but a guide is advisable to describe in detail what you see and how men survived in these circumstances. A qualified guide costs about € 20 euro / hour.

Hope this is useful

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

If you have questions or need info, you can contact me!

For visits to Bayernwald - what is the charge to a party of 10 schoolchildren and 3 adults please?

Thanks.

Kerry

For visits to Bayernwald - what is the charge to a party of 10 schoolchildren and 3 adults please?

You can email them at info@zonnebeke.be or info@passchendaele.be

Ryan

Bayernwald, better know as Croonaert wood (that is a bit further) is normaly FREE to visit! :D

You need to contact the culture department of Zonnebeke: www.zonnebeke.be they will help you to get in. It is fore but the enterance is not free, agianst vandals.

There is a fence with a lock (code) they give you the code or something. The code changes every week. Beware it is only open AFTER 17 april, the opening weekend.