Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Training

With a lot of help from Graham Stewart I found my grandad Dennis Forrest 529 Ist Bn Northumberland Fusiliers was wounded twice the seconed time November 1916 After talking to his daughter and son think this was the time he was sent home to Netley Hospital When recovered he was sent back, at first they are convinced to train other men in France he was proberly a Sergeant by then Is this possible Thankyou for reading Janet

Janet,

This is certainly possible. There was an extensive network of training schools for all sorts of skills that were corps and army based. As a rough answer without referring to notes, early in the war, there had also been divisional schools but these were reduced, I think by mid 1917, to 'classes of instruction' run on an ad hoc basis. Additionally there were musketry camps and corps reinforcement camps were some training took place. The big depots also carried out training but after the Etaples mutininy, I think that this function was moved down to a Corps level.

Glad to hear that your search for your grandfather is progressing.

Ian

Thankyou Ian for your reply he wouldn,t say much like many others but he did use to say he was a Musketry Instuctor I use to think that refered to before WW1 but maybe not janet

Janet,

Saving typing, I suggest you read this thread

Ian

Thankyou Ian I read that with interest the only other think he use to say he became an Acting Sergeant Major during WW1 but this was never recognised so must have been late in the war He also ended up in Italy Thanks again Janet