Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Francis Joseph Hunt 34623,84797

NickS

Hi, I am new to researching the Great War period and this forum. If possible I would like some help.

I am currently researching my Great-Grandfather Francis Joseph Hunt. From his service record I have managed to find the units that he served with, unfortunately the record is water damaged so some of the dates may not be correct.

3/5th Suffolk Regiment 29/09/1916

Northamptonshire Regiment 4th Infantry Labour Company 13/03/1917

142nd Company, Labour Corps 14/05/1917

294th Area Employment Company, Labour Corps 06/11/1917 until demobilized 23/02/1919.

I have not been able to find much information about these units, I would like to know what their roles were and possibly where they would have served.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Nick

Hello and welcome.

Just had a look at his MIC..

NR no is 34626 and LC no is 84797.

These are the only two recorded - this means that he enlisted into the Suffolks but went into theatre having been transferred into the NR.

Transfer into the Labour corps was usually as a result of wounding.

I would suggest this link for the various regiments starting with the regiment, then follow the divisional history with the dates you have.

http://www.1914-1918.net/regiments.htm

good luck with your search and I'm sure you'll have plenty more posts to make in the near future.

regards

David

David

Many thanks for the reply. I will try the link when time permits and see what I can find out.

One other question, I have photo's that appear to have been taken at either end of Francis' service which seem to show the same cap badge. Was it common for a soldier to wear the cap badge of the regiment that he joined on mobilization for the duration of his service, even if he were transferred to another unit?

regards

Nick

Not an expert but I would think a complete transfer would mean a new cap badge. Some soldiers were seconded out and in that case I would think they would retain their original. Why don't you post the photos of the badges?

regards

David

The Northamptonshire Regiment Labour Companies were short lived units raised in March 1917 that immediately went overseas and converted into units of the Labour Corps proper in May 1917 (as you have posted, the 4th Infantry Labout Company became 142nd Labour Company of the Labour Corps). They were generally manned by men who had been medically graded just below the "A1" front line grading. He may have been transferred from the Suffolks due to illness of some sort. The transfer to the Labour Corps would not, in this instance, have been caused by wounding. It was simply a change of label. Your dates are absolutely correct.

Steve.

Here are the photo's the second one is not good quality as it is taken from a photocopy sent to me by a relative.

FJHuntGrtWar1_edited-1.jpg

FJHuntGrtWar.jpg

The badges appear to be the same to me, as does the cap as it looks well worn!

regards

Nick

The certainly seem the same - the badge looks to me to be the Suffolks badge. In the top picture he has the cap stiffener in his cap that was not worn later in the war. Even without that it does look at bit battered!

We do have a few Labour Corps experts around here. I hope they can help with some locations.

Hang on - I've found a previous topic on the same company:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=100794&hl=

Steve.