Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Army Auxilary Horse Co

Guest crsnikki

I'm trying to find out about my great grandfather, Alfred Ernest Clare. I've not been able to find a service or pension record for him but his medal card says '16th Army Aux Horse Co. PI. ASC' The regimental number given is T2SR/03588 which I understand from The Long Long Trail could be Enlisted Special Reserve for New Armies.

I am right in thinking the 16 ASC HT Company is the same as the 16th mentioned on the card? This would link him with the 1st Division - if I'm reading it correctly. If so, does this mean that his company is the '16' mentioned with 1st Divisional Train ASC on the 1st Division Order of Battle page on Long Long Trial?

Hello Nikki

No, they were different companies.

16 (HT) Coy ASC was a pre-war company which formed part of 1st Div Train.

Most ASC companies had two numbers: one denoting their position in the main ASC sequence and another which was their rank in a sub-series of coys of their type.

There were actually two different 16 Army Auxiliary HT Coys: no. 327 Coy ASC, formed in the UK in March 1915 and being designated first 44 Reserve Park, then 32 Reserve Park, then 16 Aux HT Coy, on the Western Front. These compamnies were normally GHQ or Army Troops.

The other 16 Aux HT Coy was part of Army Troops in Salonika. It may have been so numbered to work with XVI Corps there. It was 799 Coy ASC in themain sequence.

The MIC should also show in which theatre(s) he served, which will tell you which of the two it is.