Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

"A" Coy. 10th Bn. Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

David Seymour

Please could someone let me know what this unit was doing around this time. I am looking into the death of Serjeant Percy John Clark (GS/8004 - what does the GS stand for?) who was KIA 27 Apr 1918.

Grateful, as always, for any help.

With best wishes,

David

Jonathan Saunders

"GS" (interchangable with"G") stands for General Service. He enlisted for a period of 3 years or the duration of the war. The number G/8004 suggests a May 1915 enlistment date.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Jonathan,

Many thanks for those details.

Too many questions in one post! Do you know anything about his unit's activities in April 1918? Or is there any Pal I should get in touch with in particular for RWKs?

With best wishes,

David

Jonathan Saunders

From the War Diary:

Location was listed as "V.3 on the Brielen Line" I believe this may be near St Jean in the Ypres Salient but map ref below will prove or disprove that.

27th: Battn working on V.3 Line. A serious explosion occured behind the Details Camp at G6.a.2.3 Sheet 28 NW Belgium about 12:30pm, caused by a H.V. [High Velocity] enemy shell striking an ammunition and guncotton dump. The camp was wrecked and numerous huts set on fire by the explosion. Rescue parties at once set to work to assist in recovering the numerous casualties from the debris, and extinquish the fires, in face of great danger from recurring explosion from the dump. Casualties suffered by this bttn totalled: KILLED - Lt D.F.Anderson, ORs 17; WOUNDED - ORs 28; MISSING ORs 1. Most of the Bttns records were lost in this explosion.

A sad story - what is your interest in Sgt Clark?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Jonathan,

Many thanks for that detailed report from the war diary.

Sgt Clark was the paternal grandfather of a friend. I will pass on the details to him.

Will this map reference work on any of the map DVDs which are about?

With best wishes,

David