Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Archibald McInnes MiD

mothman

With the latest updates from Ancestry of the "burnt" series of WW1 documents I found the papers relating to Archibald McInnes, my gr gr uncle. Originally thought to have served only at home in a clerical position, the additional documents show he in fact served further, including with the B.E.F. There is also a postcard he sent back acknowledging receipt of an M.I.D. certificate, and his medal index card has a reference to emblems: "Emblems iss'd i.v. B/493 d/15.7.29", a reference to the oak leaves. On one of the document pages is an entry on the Military History Sheet, section 8, Special instances of gallant conduct etc: "Mentioned in Sir D Haig's despatch 16/3/19 vide 31446 supplement[?] ...". The rest isn't very legible.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Ian Thirlwell

I've part answered my own question. Since MiDs are listed in the London Gazette I guessed that "vide 31446" referred to that issue. Using the Gazette web site the supplement for that issue covers Haig's despatches of 16th March 1919, and I found the entry for my gr gr uncle. Looking at the army document again, the rest of the writing for that entry can now be deciphered as "....supp London Gazette" and makes sense.

I'd still like to know what the mention was for exactly.

Ian Thirlwell