Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of my gt grandfather Arthur Jex - Pilot?!

Kenners

Good morning to you

I wonder if I may ask you for some guidance. I have just received a photo of my Gt Grandfather, Arthur Jex, from a Gt Uncle of mine (it's the first photo I have of him).

To my utter surprise, :o it shows Arthur standing in what appears to be a pilot's uniform, but with a sargeant's stripes down his sleeve. I'm still a bit in shock as we all beloeved he was discharged in 1914 from the Army due to a leg injury and couldn't join up.

He must have decided he was determined to fight and joined the Flying Corps instead! I had no idea we had a pilot in the family, and would be graetful if anyone out there could shed some light on the attcahed photo.

Kind regards :rolleyes:

Kenners

p.s. I haven't as yet searched for him under any records, but will do if I can determine more info onattached photo.

post-9211-1227093858.jpg

Karlsruhe was a POW camp, so it looks like he could have been a POW.

The RFC/RAF also had groundcrew who may have fallen into German hands in the Spring offensive of March 1918.

On that assumption, he probably transferred to the RAF on 1-4-1918 (whether POW by then or not) and would thus have an RAF Other Ranks Service records in AIR79 at Kew (not online yet).

Steve.

Jenners

Your great-grandfather was a comparatively rare thing in the Great War - a non-commissioned scout (fighter) pilot. He served in No 84 Sqn RAF.

On 17 April he crashed in SE 5a C5335 after it stalled and side-slipped into the ground after stalling on take-off. On 22 April 1918 he crashed in SE 5a B637 after turning near the ground and stalling.

He was flying SE 5a C6480 on an Aerial Sentry Patrol from Liettres aerodrome on 27 September 1918 when he failed to return after last being seen over Peronne at 08:15, after which he was captured. There's no matching claim by a German fighter, so he may have been brought down by ground fire. The photograph of him was taken while he was a Prisoner of War.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Kenners,

The jacket is a "maternity jacket" worn by all ranks of the RFC. He may have been ground crew.

If you have a look in the search engine for RFC uniforms or maternity jacket you will find more info on them.

Regards,

Scott

EDIT- I didn't see Gareths post.

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for your help here - I am most grateful and in a little shock too!

Gareth - I would never have imagined he was a POW having been shot down too! I am seriously thankful for your detailed research here and wonder if you can recommend where I should go from here to discover more of this astonishing news of my gt granddad.

Phew, this has all happened within 24 hours too! :o

Kind regards

Kenners

Ain't this Forum wonderful!

:lol:

Kenners

Have posted some other stuff for you on the other forum

Another photo off ancestry and his 15 star MIC

You should have stacks now to get stuck into :)

Ady

Kenners

Have posted some other stuff for you on the other forum

Another photo off ancestry and his 15 star MIC

You should have stacks now to get stuck into :)

Ady

Ady

Have just found it thanks - superb stuff!!!!!

Loads to get stuck into too!

Kind regards

Kenners

Having found his 15 Star MIC i cannot find his BWM or VM MIC would this be in his RAF Service Record thus not online?

Ady

Having found his 15 Star MIC i cannot find his BWM or VM MIC would this be in his RAF Service Record thus not online?

Ady

Would that involve a trip to Kew Ady ?

Regards

Kenners

Your great-grandfather was a comparatively rare thing in the Great War - a non-commissioned scout (fighter) pilot. He served in No 84 Sqn RAF.

Following in the tradition of the McCuddens.

mmm45, have you also posted his Royal Aero Club Certificate? The Medal Index Cards online are army documents; the RAF issued the War and Victory Medals, their MICs have yet to be released to the public. His RAF service record should be in AIR 79/153 (service numbers 12651 - 12743) this is not online, but you can request a copy of the page with his service number using their shop online service. The original is larger than A3 so they charge more than the documents online fee.

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

mmm45 has posted the Aeroclub certificate and photo on Rootschat where there is a parallel discussion ongoing.

I've had Communiques 1918 in my case for weeks, and when did I put it back on the shelf.....

The local Peterborough Advertiser had a picture on 2-11-1918 with a caption implying that he had been shot down in an air fight. (I'll post a scan later I hope)

A previous mention on the Forum!

Steve.

Kenners is this another of yours:

Cyril Francis Jex 12th London Regiment pte, 2415, Inns of Court OTC, pte, 6717, Suffolk Regiment, Lt., Royal Flying Corps, Acting Captain.

Just a question.... How are this Arthur Jex and the other Arthur Jex (CSM Rifle Brigade, with Military Cross) related?

Steve.

Kenners is this another of yours:

Cyril Francis Jex 12th London Regiment pte, 2415, Inns of Court OTC, pte, 6717, Suffolk Regiment, Lt., Royal Flying Corps, Acting Captain.

Hi Per Ardua,

Not sure he's a relative as my Jex seem to come from Norfolk county, but I never say never! Once I start exapnding the tree, I'll see if there are any in Suffolk.

Kind regards

Kenners

Just a question.... How are this Arthur Jex and the other Arthur Jex (CSM Rifle Brigade, with Military Cross) related?

Steve.

Hi Steve

I think I made this mistake earlier,in that there are TWO Arthur Jexs' and the MC Awarded Arthur is not my relation (after I downloaded his MIC/Service records the spouse was different).

Fantastic news about the possible caption from teh Peterbor Adv. - wow that would be something else too - shot down in a dogfight! :mellow:

Thanks again Steve.

Kenners

Not sure he's a relative as my Jex seem to come from Norfolk county, but I never say never! Once I start exapnding the tree, I'll see if there are any in Suffolk.

The one I mentioned started off in the London Regiment, which could mean that he came from anywhere!

Thanks Steve!

Can't find a picture of him for 90 years, then three come along at once.... :D

post-6536-1227121148.jpg

(Peterborough Advertiser, 2-11-1918)

I wonder if he got shot up, escaped the German aircraft that hit him, and then had to crash-land his plane a little while later, hence him not being "claimed" by a German pilot?

Steve.

A "Corporal A Jex" gets a few mentions on the Aerodrome site:

2 victories on 10th & 11th August 1917 for Corporal A Jex whilst flying as an observer for Oscar Lennox McMaking of 45 Squadron:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/england/mcmaking.php

Extracted from the above link:

Victories

Date Time Unit Aircraft Opponent Location

1 12 Jul 1917 1315 45 Sopwith 1½ Strutter (1) Albatros D.III (OOC) E of Messines

2 12 Jul 1917 1515 45 Sopwith 1½ Strutter (1) Albatros D.III (OOC) Kortewilde

3 10 Aug 1917 1830 45 Sopwith 1½ Strutter (B2656) (2) Albatros D.III (OOC) Zandvoorde

4 11 Aug 1917 1845 45 Sopwith 1½ Strutter (2) Albatros D.III (DESF) Deulemont

5 03 Sep 1917 1500 45 Sopwith Camel Albatros D.III (OOC) Ledeghem-Dadizeele

6 05 Sep 1917 0800 45 Sopwith Camel Albatros D.III (OOC) Comines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) Observer 2/Lt LM Copeland

(2) Observer Cpl A Jex

OOC = Out of control; DESF = Destroyed in flames

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His plane's serial number with 84 Squadron - C6480 (already mentioned by Dolphin, above)

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft//seri...s_serials=17362

Three mentions in "RFC Communiques 1917-18". I'll get my typing finger going....

Communique no. 96, Page 80, July 12th 1917

No. 45 Squadron took part in a number of engagements. One patrol observed a very large yellow two-seater Albatros protected by two Albatros scouts. Captain A T Harris and 2nd Lt P F Webb dived at the two seater and its Observer was seen to collapse in his cockpit. Capt Harris did not cease firing into the EA {Enemy Aircraft} until he was forced to "zoom" in order to avoid flying into the EA which fell completely out of control. One Albatros scout was shot down by Lt J D Musgrave & Cpl A Jex and was seen to crash and burst into flames. In other combats by 45 Squadron EA were sent down out of control by Lt G H Walker & 2nd Lt Mullen, and Lt O L Making & Lt M Copeland.

Communique no. 97, Page 85, July 20 1917

Lt J D Musgrave & Cpl A Jex, 45 Squadron, and Lts A E Charlwood & Selby of the same squadron each drove down an EA out of control.

Communique No. 101, Page 100, August 11th 1917

The following narrative of fights by machines of 45 Squadron has been sent by the Officer Commanding that squadron and is of considerable interest:

"While on north line patrol Lt O L McMaking and Capt I Mc A M Pender* crossed the lines at 6.35pm (on the 11th instant) under the clouds at 4500 feet over Deulemont. While passing a gap in the cloud two Albatros scouts dived at them from the clouds, firing continuously. Cpl A Jex (Lt McMaking's Observer) got in a full drum at the enemy scout from very close quarters. The EA crashed in flames on the canal immediately to the left of Deulemont. The second EA attacked Capt Pender's machine from the side and one bullet passed through both the main petrol tanks and wounded Capt Pender seriously in the back. Pioneer W T Smith (Capt Pender's Observer) got in a full double drum at the EA from close quarters and it crashed four fields to the left of the first machine. Capl Pender then fainted and his machine got into a spin. As Pioneer Smith could not make him hear, he climbed over the side and forward along the plane to the pilot's cockpit and found the stick wedged between Capt Pender's legs. He pulled Capt Pender back and pushed the stick forward. The machine came out of the spin and Capt Pender almost immediately recovered. Capt Pender then brought the machine and landed his Observer safely near Poperinghe. Members of the 16th Divisional Ammunition Column, where Capt Pender came down, saw Pioneer Smith standing on the side of the machine and heard him encouraging Capt Pender, saying 'Pull her up, sir' as they were about to crash into some hop poles. Capt Pender did pull her up and landed on the other side with very little damage."

* Captain Ian McAllister Moffat Pender, Seaforth Highlanders (2nd Lt & Capt.), RAF (Capt.)

All in a day's work!!! :o Who reckons that Pioneer Smith's EXACT words were "Pull her up, sir."..... :)

William Thomas Smith DCM on the Aerodrome: http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/england/smith11.php

No surprise that Pioneer Smith got the DCM for his "stunt". London Gazette, 22-10-1917 & 26-1-1918 - Awarded the DCM: 48027 Pnr. W. T. Smith, 14th Signal Co. R.E., attd. R.F.C. (Kensal Rise, London). "Conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty whilst acting as aerial gunner to an officer. Having shot down an enemy machine, his own pilot was wounded, and fell forward insensible on to the control lever. Pioneer Smith then climbed forward along the plane, pulled the pilot off the lever and got the machine under control. The officer then partially recovered, whereupon he remained standing on the side of the fuselage shouting words of encouragement to him, and the machine was eventually landed without much damage, entirely owing to his exceptionally gallant and prompt action." Announcement and citation. (Smith went on to be a Sgt., became an observer ace, survived the war and went to Australia, where he ran into Pender again in 1942).

I wonder if Arthur and William swopped stories in the Mess over that one?

------------------

The Communique for 10th August 1917 doesn't specifically mention McMaking's and Jex's victory:

Communique No. 100, Pages 98-99, August 10th 1917

A formation of Albatros scouts was engaged by 45 Squadron and one was shot down by Capt M Findlay & 2nd Lt Mullen. The same patrol next engaged seven more EA scouts and 2nd Lt M B Frew & Lt G A Brooke drove one down out of control.

I make that 4 victories as an observer for Cpl A Jex {1) 12-7-1917, 2) 20-7-1917, 3) 10-8-1917 & 4) 11-8-1917} - one short of being an "Observer Ace" !

Did Arthur get his modelling fees for this painting? :D

post-6536-1227130158.jpg

Steve.

Just 'cus when I get going, I can't shut up....

Arthur Jex's original pre-war service - noted on his attestation as "Vol. & Territorials R.F.A." - would probably have been with the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment prior to 1-4-1908 when the two Peterborough Companies ("G" and "H") disbanded, and their drill hall base at Queen Street (now beneath Queensgate Shopping Centre) was taken over by the newly formed Northamptonshire (a.k.a. Peterborough) Battery of the Royal Field Artillery.

Since Arthur seems to have served with both of these units, it seems like his Territorial service (normally 4 years) straddled the changeover date of 1-4-1908.

Steve.

P.S. I could find a picture of the Reverend who married him, if pushed (I know one exists!)... ;)

23 Mayor's Walk (terrace) still exists by the way, but St Mary's Church has been replaced by a modern building.

Steve

WOW! :rolleyes:

I can't believe all of this stuff exists on Arthur - I am well and truly grateful for all your research here.

The newspaper article is a fantastic find and proves he was in a dog fight too - Re the 'Men at Arms' picture - the guy on the far left - am I being hopeful here and thinking that was Arthur posing?!

I tried to see if there was a picture of 23 Mayors Walk on line, but none so far. Thanks for the info on the church too, I've just found an image on google of the old one - and if you don't mind seeing if you can find an image of the vicarwho married them that would be most appreciated.

Great stuff Steve - I'm now going to have a long look at the sites you've kindly posted too. My mum was thrilled last night when I showed her all of the stuff from yesterday, and today I receive loads more!

Cheers for all your help.

Kenners

I'm sure I can get my camera out. I don't think the place has changed much. I might need a character witness if I get arrested, though!

The guy on the far left is certainly wearing exactly the same kit as Arthur would have worn - though I doubt it would have actually been Arthur doing the posing!!

I'm not aware of a South Street (where his 1914 address was) in town even in the old days, but there was/is a South Street in Stanground just sarf' of the river. If he lived there then he was a neighbour of my family that lived close by.

Steve.

Hi Steve

A photo of the house would be brilliant - I'll back you up if you end up arrested! :o

Think I was half hoping he'd posed for that but indeed you are right. Stanground may well be where they lived - I'll check with my mum tonight to see if she recalls. Wouldn't that be uncanny if your relatives knew the Jex family!

Arthur's son Stan, lived in Eye, Lindisfarne Road I recall.

Many thanks again

Kenners