Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Frank Brack 7th Btn DLI

LesKeen

Hello once again to all forum members.

I am really getting the bug researching relatives who served in the military during the great war and whilst researching my grandfathers military service i found a great-uncle who was killed in action. Does anyone have any information regarding the whereabouts of this battalion around the date of his death. I know this battalion became a Pioneer - not sure what that is - as I am a novice. Hope to build up my knowledge and gain experience as i feel quite useless at the moment and would like to help others too in the future.

Private Frank Brack

7th Btn, DLI

Born: Southwick, Sunderland

Died: 14.11.1916

Cemetary: Caterpillar Valley, Longueval

Cheers

Les

Hi Les,

The 17th Bn DLI became the Pioneer battalion to the 50th (Northumbrian) Division which were engages in the actions around the Butte de Warlencourt around the time of Franks death, he is listed as being killed in action on the 14th november 1916. The battalion war diary is held at the national Archives in WO 95/2823. You can request certain parts of the diary, there is a base rate of £8.50 for 10 pages which usually works out around a month or more worth of diary. The diary may provide an exact location and duties that the battalion carried out on the 14th. There is a brief article here concerning the 50th Division's time on the Somme.

Pioneer battalions first appeared in the British army during the Great War and took the roll that was deemed the exclusive province of the Royal Engineers. These battalions largely comprised men who came from industrial backgrounds and would have been employed in mining, construction, stone masonary etc in civilian life. Pioneers were also infantry soldiers and were kitted out as such, often found in the thick of it when extra manpower was needed.

Have you searched ancestry for Frank's documents? His MIC appears there but can't see any service papers, however, a quick online search would suggest that Frank's service papers, part of the 'burnt documents' may exist at the NA on microfilm, the reel worth checking is WO 363/B 226, these can only be viewed in person at the NA,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the information Jon, it gives me a good starting point. I also had a chat with a colleague today and he also advised me to check with the DLI museum and Durham County Records who may have more information on the 7 DLI.

Les

Les

7th DLI was Sunderland's battalion raised at the Drill Hall in Livingston Road.

Do you have anymore info about his address in Southwick and have you been there.

There is an active Heritage society in Southwick who may have info particularly if he was a miner. Possibley a good source of background.

David

David

Thanks for the reply. I only have addresses from my grandmother's (Frank's sister) birth certificate 1884 as 2 Pilgrim St Monkwearmouth; and an earlier address from the 1881 census as 21 Edward Burdes Street. Unfortunately, I have no address for later dates. I visited my grandparents house in Amy Street, Southwick on many occasions from being a child till my grandfather's (160th Wearside Brigade, RFA) death in 1973. I currently live in South Durham but all my family still live in and around the Sunderland area. Thanks for the advice, I will see what I can find out from the Heritage Society.

Les