Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some Labour and RE Companies - locations

Chris_Baker

Could anyone tell me the locations (and specfic roles if known) of the following;

154 Company Labour Corps

155 Company LC

927 Area Employment (Artizan) Company LC

834 Area Employment Company LC

394 (Artizan Works) Company Royal Engineers

Thanks.

Chris

Locations for the Labour Corps Companies would depend on dates.

154 and 155 were general labour companies

834 and 927 were both Artizan Companies but that did not stop them being used at times for more general duties.

Ivor

I'm interested in 1918 and early 1919, Ivor. Any location info would be helpful. And what did an Artizan Labour Company actually do when not on general labouring? The very title seems strange.

By way of recompense I found yesterday some locations of obscure home based units. Don't know if this is of use to you, Ivor:

295 Reserve Labour Coy - at Invergordon in April 1918

359 Reserve Labour Coy - at Glencorse in November 1917

373 HS labour Coy - at Blairgowrie in April 1918

462 HS Labour Coy - at Blairgowrie in March 1918

Can I refer you to The History and Background of the Royal Pioneer Corps:

http://www.royalpioneercorps.co.uk/rpc/history_main1.htm

On page 2 it states:

Once it had been created, the Labour Corps was split into various Labour groups, each consisting of a headquarters and several Labour companies. In addition there were Area Employment Companies, Area Employment (Artisan) Companies, Divisional Employment Companies, and Agricultural Companies.

I believe that Artisan Companies contained craftsmen who today would possess certain Royal Engineers construction trades.

Perhaps then the men were so medically downgraded that they could not be in the teeth arms, but were acceptable in a rear-echelon capacity as Labour Corps tradesmen.

Harry

ex-68 Company Royal Pioneer Corps (V)

Thanks, Harry. I have not seen that history but I did know about the various types of Company.

Artizan is spelled with a Z (including a rubber stamp) on a couple of service records I am looking at here.

Still would like to know what an Artizan Company of the Labour Corps actually did.

Chris

Will PM you but it may not be until weekend or early next week - have to complete the book's section on Area Employment Companies in next few days so will send you Artizan Companies section when it is written!

Ivor