Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 MN collision casualties

Northern Soul

Terry,

In the linked thread, Ron identified a sinking for me. The crew members who died are not commemorated by the CWGC; since there was no enemy involvement this is in keeping with the stated rules for who is and who isn't.

Ships and Navies

However, in WW2 I have found at least one example of a crew who are commemorated but whose loss was due to collision and not enemy action. So, my question is: did the rules change at some point or was a precedent created? Whatever answer, what scope is there for commemorating the WW1 crew (only one of whom I can name).

Best wishes.

Andy.

Andy,

The M.N situation really SUCKS (both WW1 and WW2)! These men risked their lives the SAME as any other sailor did and deserve the SAME honour & tribute. It's not the Commission at fault here it's clearly the government because the CWGC can only act within the remit of it's royal charter. It's something that seems to have been totally forgotten by the Royal British Legion etc...

I think that if you look at the facts of most Merchant Naval sinkings (enemy action or not), you will find many anonomies like the one you mention here. It's a real insult to all those who served in the Merchant Navy in both wars.