Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd/4th Royal Fusiliers

Simon_Fielding

Once again I'm puzzled by the relationship between the Royal Fusiliers and the London Regt:

I have a casualty:

Private James Henry WINWOOD

2nd/4th Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)

b. Worcester e. Worcester r. Bewdley d of w F&F 10/8/18 G/95555 formerly 46196 4th Battalion Wiltshire Regiment

Aged 18

Son of Francis J and Alice Winwood of 32 Sandy Bank, Bewdley

Pernois British Cemetery, Somme, France

IV. A. 14.

yet the parent site to this forum has this battalion as disbanded in 1916 -

2/4th (City of London) Battalion TF (Royal Fusiliers)

Formed in London in September 1914. By December 1914, in 2/1st London Brigade, 2/1st London Division. December 1914 : left the Division and relieved the 1/4th Bn in Malta. 20 August 1915 : moved to Egypt, before landing on 15 October at Helles, Gallipoli, joining the 1st Brigade, Royal Naval Division. January 1916 : moved to Egypt, joining the 53rd Division. Moved to France and in June 1916 disbanded.

unless I'm looking at the wrong 2nd/4th???

Help!

Simon

After the 2nd/4th were disbanded in June 1916, the 3rd/4ths were renumbered as the 2nd/4ths. The new 2nd/4ths went to France on 24/01/17 landing at Havre. The new 2nd/4ths were disbanded in turn in France on 12/09/18, and the personnel were transferred to the 2nd/2nd.

During this period in France, the battalion was in 173 Brigade of the 58th Division) (2nd/1st London Division). The Division was engaged in the Battle of Amiens 8 - 11 August 1918 as part of III Corps 4th Army.

Confused?? I was!

Thanks!! It's a real brain-mangler isn't it?

:D

Simon